Boot Clip on Kydex Sheath?

jylong_away

I'm mulling over carry options for a kydex sheath, now that the actual blade is at the heat treaters until wednesday...

I plan on using kydex with rivets, and possibly a couple of chicago screws towards the opening of the sheath to vary the draw tension.

Does anyone have suggestions about how to mount a metal boot clip to a kydex sheath? Preferably using the rivet holes already in place?

Have browsed some of my usual knife supply sites, but haven't found a clip that seems to fit...

Dave

You could Mount the clip to a strip of kydex which you could then attach across the back of the sheath via chicago screws. I can send you a diagram if you like, but it will have to wait til I get home from work this evening. I can't draw on my phone.

I think I can visualize what you're talking about. I'm guessing you'd mould the kydex strip around the sheath and clip after heating it with a heat gun or oven?

Any particular clip you'd recommend?

I personally prefer the Tek-Loks, but if you want to do a boot clip several suppliers offer them. You could even use a standard pocket clip for folders if you wanted to.

I use the regular sheath clips , about 1.25" wide with one hole in the end. I make a plug , the same size as the back of the clip,but about 3 times thicker, 1/4" material works good. Tape it to the blade when forming the sheath , then cut a hole in the sheath for the clip to go through with a dremel. You then have to put one rivet in the end of the clip.

attachment.php

Here is an example of a clip wrap on a Kydex sheath. This accepts any clip and keeps the chicago screwheads away from the knife.

Hope it helps,
Steve :steve:

proto 003.jpg

You could Mount the clip to a strip of kydex which you could then attach across the back of the sheath via chicago screws. I can send you a diagram if you like, but it will have to wait til I get home from work this evening. I can't draw on my phone.

thats how I do it as well....works like a charm

you can also use scrap pieces of kydex to make your own clips and IWB clips

Here is a pic of a Spy Knife I made set up where the clip is on a plate that can be removed if you want to switch to neck carry.
spy3.jpg

Here is a pic of a Spy Knife I made set up where the clip is on a plate that can be removed if you want to switch to neck carry.
spy3.jpg

That's exactly what I had in mind.

Could I ask - how did you mould that strip of kydex around the clip and onto the back of the sheath?

Also, where did you source your clip from? Thanks!

Dave

I noticed on your site you mentioned a 'new bladetech IWB clip'. Could I ask which setup you were referring to?

couple 3 years ago bladetech came out with there own IWB clip

It works fine and is attached just like a regular tek lock

personally I dont care for tek's...The cost to much and are at times hard to get

AND they sit way to low for my taste so I now make my own

That's exactly what I had in mind.

Could I ask - how did you mould that strip of kydex around the clip and onto the back of the sheath?

Also, where did you source your clip from? Thanks!

Dave

Sorry I have been absent lately. The kydex is molded over a 1/8" X 1" bar laying on a larger plate all set up in the foam press. Then it is cut down to size to match the sheath, holes drilled and such. then I locate where the clip needs to be and drill the holes for it. The rivets are the post type so they are pressed in upside down with a plate in the arbor press so they can be squeezed down straight and flat. The plate is placed where the belt goes and is supporting the rivet heads from the bottom and the press comes down on what would be the back side because that is the surface that is exposed.

Why don't I just take a picture? LOL

I'll try to do that.

Here is a pic of the same type of clip on a little tool I made showing the rivet heads.
Ebot-1-GR4.jpg

Back