My 2nd and 3rd attempt an knife making.

Fergy35

Quite a while back I made my first meager attempt at knife building. It came out OK, even if obviously from a rookie. Shortly after finishing that one I got busy and cut out 6-more blades of various shapes. Then they sat while life got in the way of finishing them.

I finally got back to them recently and managed to finish two of them. Another broke when I tried to straighten it after heat treat - oops. Anyway, here are some pictures of knives #2 and #3.

Thanks for looking.

#2 - this one went to my dad. Blade is O1, handle is Lacewood with brass pins and lanyard tube. Pin stock came from a broken cleaning rod from on old gun cleaning kit.
1e68ec36.jpg

8e5c63d3.jpg

4370de2d.jpg

#3 - still have this one. Blade is O1, handle is green micarta (Thanks Cubby) with brass pins and lanyard tube. Pin stock is from a brass brazing rod.

ff7e9af8.jpg

c893eeaa.jpg

0721a915.jpg

Nice work! I really like the look on the first one, looks like a nice hand rubbed finish. On the second one I'm not sure if it's the pic or not but it looks like you have horizontal sand marks on the ricasso and vertical on the blade. I like the overall shape though.

Both look good,but imo,the blade to handle ratio of the 1st could be a bit more balanced.
(a slightly deeper blade would achieve that,and/or the use of bolsters,like nickel-silver)
Being a sucker for lil Big Knives, I really like the 2nd.
Did you lightly ream the inside lip of the thong tubes?
They look like they're flush to the handle,which will chew up a lanyard pretty quick...
Brother,for a 2nd and 3rd attempt,I'm pretty impressed.

I'll 2nd what Wolf said.
The only thing I'll add is,you are doing an awsome job......Oh,wait..
He already said that:biggrin:
Keep it up.

God bless,Keith

First off, thanks for the comments guys, I appreciate it.

On Fletch's question - yep the lines are going different directions. Actually did it on purpose to see how it would look. Still undecided on that.

Iron Wolf - Yeah, I struggled a bit with proportions on that one. Both of these were made from scrap O1 I got from a local machine shop. I tried to make all the blade I could out of the pieces I had. Also, knowing I was giving that one to my father I sized the handle bigger to accommodate his larger hands better. Basically, I agree but in the end I made some compromises. As for the thong tubes, I did lightly chamfer them with a counter sink bit to get rid of the sharp corners. For future reference - should they be recessed below the scales or maybe flared?

Thanks again guys.

Last edited:
Those are very good knive for a beginner, keep up the good work.

Well Done. IW made a good point about blade size, but I prefer a decent size handle on a small blade,
than a small handle on a large blade. And sometimes, usually, we have to work with what we have.
I like them. Keep grinding, Dozier

Last edited:
I would carry eather knife into a deer camp. I don't care for red handles on knives, that is guest me.

LeeRoy

Back