OHHH CRAP! Now what?

DLBrothers

I just left a blade in the HT oven at 350deg overnight......like a dufus!:sad:

It is CTS 40cp. This was the second temper post cryo.

Did I ruin it??? I promised delivery on 9/8/10......

I don't know anything about CTS 40cp, but...If the temp isn't too high, which it doesn't seem like 350F would be, I doubt the extra time would hurt anything. I'd worry more about the electric bill than the steel. Just be thankful it was a blade not a pizza! :D

Last edited:
If you really want to know the answer, I can send you the number to one of thier metalurgist that I met at the AG Russell Knife Event. I'm sure he could tell you the results.

It should not hurt it at all. You should see what tool steel does if it is left at 1850 for 27 hours.

if that is the temperature you wanted for your second tempering, there is no problem at all. You can temper for 2 weeks (at the proper temperature of course) if you like an it won't hurt a thing.

Thank you gentlemen! I was leaning that direction, nice to get some confirmation. I was sitting at my desk at work when it hit me like a bolt of lighting - I LEFT THE OVEN ON _AGHHHHH! I'm sure some of you can appreciate the shock factor involved with that....Luckily my wife was home and could turn it off.
Thanks again for easing my mind!

James - luckily my HT oven is 240v and over-insulated - holds heat TOO well, so maybe the bill won't give the same shock!
I just got the shipping confirmation from Auber Industries - I ordered a programmable timer that works with the PID - that should remedy one pitfall of my growing forgetfullness- getting old STINKS!

AND - Thank you Stabber for your kind comment!

Last edited:
Back