Uncle Al's Hydraulic press!

HHH Knives

Super Moderator
Hey Dogs, I just wanted to take a few seconds and post a little info on Uncle Al's 24 ton press. (my new press.)
This is the ONLY and first press I have used.. so I cant really compare it to the other pre made presses out there. But heres my thoughts.

First the specs. It pushes at 24 tons and has a very small foot print and is a self contained unit.. It stands 5'3" at the tallest and only 30" across and 24" deep And if you are anything like me.. Thats almost as important as how good it works! And let me tell ya. Its a metal moving machine! :biggrin:
The stroke is fast! and the dies are simple.. so I will not have a problem making or changing them out. It comes with 1 set of dies.. So I have to add that to my list of things to do this month!

In figuring out what press to get, I asked you guys and anyone else who would listen.. Thanks for your input.. As I did this I called AL... He is a very king gentleman.. He took the time to answer my many questions and phone calls. And there were many. The turn around time on my order was perfect and the delivery is awesome as well. It came FedX and took 2 days to get here after he shipped it. Thanks Al...

In a nut shell Im VERY, VERRRRY happy with my new press and would recommend it to anyone considering pulling the trigger on a press... http://riversidemachine.net/item16342.ctlg

Any advise or thoughts about these presses or your dealings with Al would be great..

Thanks, Randy Haas, HHH Knives

Attachments

• Uncle Al's press 003.jpg
    Uncle Al's press 003.jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 122
  • Uncle Al's press 008.jpg
    Uncle Al's press 008.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 96
  • Uncle Al's press 001.jpg
    Uncle Al's press 001.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 137
Last edited:
JEALOUS!!

Great looking machine you picked up. You know what would go good with this thread....ACTION SHOTS!!! Pictures or it never happened...:D

--nathan

Nice Unit! I like Indian George's press. A must have for making damascus and flattening out round or square stock. Saves a TON of Hammering!!

Do yourself a favor and install an oil filter system.
I have been running the same pump for 12 years and although I am not running the same cylinder, I'm sure I would be if I hadn't busted it.
You also might consider a motor starting switch.

Nathon, I just added some pics of the press and Jr. working on a billet..
Delbert.. PM me with any info you might want to share on where to get the filter and how or why to use a different start switch?
Pat, You my friend are right. Im feeling VERY blessed
Stabber. Yes sir Thanks for the comments.

That is a great press. I was at Uncle Al's shop last year and saw that style of press and it looked great and at a very reasonable price. your right about him being a great guy. I am still struggling about a press or power/tire hammer. I don't do a lot of Damascas so I am leaning more to the Hammer for now but eventually want both.........Steve

Steve, Now Im jealous, I would like to be able to go down to his shop and shake his hand, and thank him personally for this awesome new addition to my every growing shop! A hammer is also on my wish list! What kind are you looking at?

Randy

say - I have one of these, too. It has really helped me, things are totally different. I can weld and make stuff that would have taken months by hand. I won't steal your thread, but look at the sword and kindjal I posted recently. These were due to the press.

Al is great, and the press works really well. You will need to find a way to widen stock, that is one thing that the flat dies don't do well. If you want something 2" or wider, the dies don't really squash that way. I am going to get or make fullering dies at some point. Also, I made a top tool out of an old hammer to use for putting fullers in one side of the stock so I can widen it.

The other thing you can do is get a drawing die, and approach it from a close to the side as possible, and flip the work over each time. It will get wider and bend like a snake and then almost straighten out, as you put little x-shaped divots in it.

finally- spacers. Spacers are great, that way you can draw stuff out to the right size. They are almost a must if you are doing multi-bar construction. At least, they keep you from having to think so hard and pay such close attention all of the time.

rock on!
Kevin

Randy
Al and his son are great people. The Hammer I am planning on make is your basic Tire hammer. I know Ray Clontz and have the plans just need to find the time and parts. I need something to help with hammering out tangs and such . My arm just doesn't hold up as good as it use to... I would love to have a press also, just to many things not enough funds.. Congrats on the press.....Steve

Thanks Steve. Im planning on doing a retro fit to the press. Will add a filter and air breather. as well as upgrade the switch. as stated in a previous post here on KD. A very nice fellow contacted me in regards to upgrading the hydrolics system on this machine..

I stilll LOVE the press and have been putting it to good use! Here are a few pics of some of the billets it has made! sry about the bad pics.

Thanks again to everyone for your help and advise.
Randy Haas, HHH Knives

Attachments

• HHH Knives damascus 033.jpg
    HHH Knives damascus 033.jpg
    78.6 KB · Views: 34
  • HHH Knives damascus 034.jpg
    HHH Knives damascus 034.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 30
  • HHH Knives damascus 037.jpg
    HHH Knives damascus 037.jpg
    75 KB · Views: 30
  • HHH Knives damascus 036.jpg