My First W-2 Blade

murphda2

Super Moderator and KD Blade Show Boss
A few weeks ago I forged my first blade from W-2. I forged it from a piece of 5/8" round bar I picked up from Aldo at Batson's Knife Symposium back in the Spring. I've been a bit in the dumps lately after cracking another blade that I heat treated at the same time I was heat treating this one.

I finally got off of my butt and went to the shop yesterday and started hand sanding this one. I sanded it to 800 grit and then etched it to try to see the detail of the hamon. So far, I'm fairly pleased with the results. I will sand this one out to probably 2000 grit and re-etch it to see how much detail I can get. I still have a bit of edge to work down, so I'll be going back to 220 grit and starting over on my next shop day.

Blade: 1/8" W-2 (form 5/8" round)
Length: 3 15/16"
Width: 1 1/16"

I haven't decided what type of handle material I want to use yet but I will be doing it in a Japanes style. I have never attempted to make a habaki, but this blade is really going to need one. I may decide to use a nice piece of curly maple that I picked up from Larry several months ago. It might look good with a copper habaki and sterling silver seppa and maybe water buffalo horn fittings.

Anyway......... here is a photo of the blade.

IMG_0148.jpg

Nice Murph. The hamon looks great. Did you oil quench the W2? You got a nice height out of 5/8th's rod. Did you use a press? I got some S7 from Bubbasan and was wondering what height I would get

Murph, that's sweet.

I have one piece of W2 and as it's not the easiest stuff to get hold of over here, I'm reluctant to use it!

I'm looking forward to making my first hamon though....one day! :D

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Stabber, I quenched this one in Parks 50 and hand hammered it out. It wasn't as tough to hammer out as I had expected. I'm guessing it was because it was only 5/8" rod.

MAN!! Murph, Thats is a good lookin blade. How do you like working with w2? Does it seem as hard as 1084? And what grit and polish did you use?
Maybe I can get back in the shop before long. This back thing [ciatica] ha, no way I can spell that word, anyway that big nerve that starts in your back, goes through your pelvic and goes all the way down your leg, It has about got me down.
Been wanting to get some w2 and try it out.
Be up to see your shop when I can stand up for any time. Jerry

Let me know when uou want to get up off your rump and come over Jerry. You're always welcome. If I'm not honna be around, I'll leave the keys for ya.

Let me know when uou want to get up off your rump and come over Jerry. You're always welcome. If I'm not gonna be around, I'll leave the keys for ya.

Working the round bar wasn't easy, but it wasn't as hard as I had expected. I took it to 800 before etching, then I went over it with 1000 (etched and sanded twice). The third time I used flitz on it.

I'll try to find time to work on it this weekend James. I spent last weekend spending time with the "Mrs" on Saturday and then over at another KD's shop on Sunday helping him get ready for a show. I have an almost three week break in my training cycle starting next week. If all goes well, I should start getting some more work done over the next couple of weeks.

I have another little blade a buddy gave me that he had ground and HT that I'm going to try to finish up this weekend. This W-2 blade is going to take me quite a while to complete. I know what I want the finished piece to be, but there are a few thing I want to do that I have no clue how to do. I gotta get educated before I finsh it.

Back