Which Belt Grinder?

P

partsman430

I am looking at 2 different grinders, a 1 inch belt or a 4 inch belt. Just wondering which is most common and more useful. Thanks.

The 1" is more commonly used in knifemaking than the 4", but neither is really ideal. The most common belt size used in knifemaking is 2" x72".

+1 for a 2" X 72" grinder. Since it's the most common, belts are easier to come by, and will be available in a much wider array of grits and quality than either of the sizes you mentioned.

It's a balancing act ....trying to get the most machine for your money, but do yourself a favor. Save the money and by a "good" machine. By that I mean be prepared to pay $1,000-$2,000. I know that's a lot of money, but trust me, you will be disappointed in anything less if your going to make blades.

I differ a bit with Ed on grinders, though I must admit that I don't have near his expertice or experience. I have a Coote grinder and it has done everytihing that I have asked of it and it ran me about half of what a KMG would have cost me. I also made the aquaitance of a smith who earned both his Journeyman's and Master's stamps with two Grizzly grinders. However, this is going to have to be your choice. I would advise that you not try to adapt a wood working sander as a grinder. I did make the mistake of starting out with a 4X36" sander and getting grinding belts for it but, in the end, I found that files could do anything it could do and better and not that much slower. You will build up your arm muscles, however.

Doug Lester

Build your own .I used a set of tracy's plans .found here.
http://www.usaknifemaker.com/store/...3.html?zenid=ed2f120f3385f3cb66e37017204e0f2d

To build mine.
g1_003600_x_451.jpg

I have one of my Moe's Grinders for sale and ready to ship for $1,300.00. I met with the folks at Appalachian Center for the Craft yesterday and will be conducting a "Build a Belt Grinder" workshop in May 2011 there (Smithville, Tennessee).

Or like Jeff said, build your own grinder using Tracy's NWG plans for a guide. You can get the wheels etc from Tracy and motor chord, switch, VFD, etc from me. Check the threads I have started for more information.

Building your own is an option. I built mine using Tracy's plans as a guide. It was very easy to build and works great. Between Tracy and Wayne you can get every thing you need to complete it.

Larry

i have a Kalamzoo 2x48 that i have been using but it is very limited in what it can be used for. I am in the process of making a NWG from Tracy's plan and a motor from Wayne. I cannot wait to get it up and going! If you build you own, these guys are great to work with!

UncleBilly

Another option on the build your own route, is a grinder in a box. It contains the steel needed for the frame of a grinder. Get the wheels from Tracy and the motor from Wayne, and you can have a solid grinder (that you built yourself).

Jamie

PM,as already been said,if you can,wait and build one yourself.
Tracy has plans for a 2x72.I built mine for less than $600
I used recycled steel and a used 1 1/2 hp motor,but it has been
all the grinder I need.Good luck,

God bless,Keith

Being that I'm just starting to tinker around with this hobby; I just picked up a 1' Dremel belt sander. It does alright, thus far.. I'll probably have to upgrade to something better with speed options once I get the techniques on the grinder down.

Back