Using Tufnol for a disc grinder disc?

Stew

Hi Guys,

I'm gathering bits to build myself a disc grinder.

Crazily, I can't source a disc to just put on the motor in the UK and importing from Tracey seems a bit excessive (and the bore size is wrong)

I have the mount for the motor sorted and someone has found me a supplier of Aluminium discs in any width, 1" thick.

Before I push the button on it, I was just wondering what anyone thought about using a 1/4" thick by 9" disc of Tufnol instead? I may be able to get some just for the cost of posting it over, which of course is nicer to my bank balance.

Waste of time?

All thoughts appreciated! :)

Depends on your budget.

It might work well, Probably not.
I used tons of the stuff working overseas, even made some gears out of it, and it can be good stuff.

I also had some that was junk. It delaminated on me.

I don't know how it will respond to repeated application and removel of adhesive. Probably not well.
It also won't respond well to scraping adhesive and stuck bits of paper off.

You may have to make another one later if it proves not to last, so if your time is valuable, just build it once out of Aluminium.

Gotcha, simliar to micarta, right? Is it made with paper, linen, canvas or what? Again, sorry for the dumb questions, it's just that I like micarta and G10 a lot and another similar option sounds interesting.

The stuff I used was more like G10 than Micarta.

They use fabric, paper, and glass.

Here we would call it Garolite the Brits call it Tufnol.
I think it's a brand name.

You could always make it out of the Tufnol then glue on a thin steel face. This will resist the issue of the paper removal. One thing that I found to help a great deal was to glue a cork face to my disc (Thanks Ed Caffrey!) This will soften the face just a bit and remove the chatter. I used felpro cork gasket material from NAPA. I used the good 3M stuff to glue on the cork, then use the Duro brand to glue on the paper. It holds well enough to keep the paper in place but easy enough to remove. If the cork gets gummy I turn the machine on then spray a liberal amount of 3M adhesive remover and wipe down with a cloth. Good as new! I was concerned with it effecting the glue under the cork, but so far no issue!! Ive used the same cork and gone thru 2 1/2 boxes of 200/400 Black ice paper and still works like a champ!

Good luck and God Bless
Mike

Back