'Karambit' handle design...sorta

jylong_away

Hi all!

I'm gearing up to start my next project, and have planned to try a karambit-style handle, with a more conventional style of blade (either a drop point or modified wharncliffe). May also make it reverse-edged. For a long time I've itched to have a reverse-edged knife with a karambit style hole!

I've noticed that some makers here have experience grinding karambits of various designs. How did you go about designing the handle to fit your hand? CAD? Or from a basic template, followed by a grind-as-you-go approach?

Any inspiration is much appreciated!

Dave

Dave,

It doesn't look like anyone is going to help you out with some ideas. Guess what! I can't really help with specifics either since I have never had any interest in what would surely break my finger if I had it on a knife that I used regularly.

I will point you to Jay Fisher at http://www.jayfisher.com/index.htm. He does a number of knives with that feature and there is a lot of info on his site. You might get some inspiration there and if you contact him, he might be willing to share some info with you.

Hope this helps,
Carey

you can go with cad, i draw mine out on card stock and cut it out with scissors then proceed to cad using the paper model

Back