karambit advice

P

Pooch

I am looking for a good quality fixed blade karambit. I can't find exactly what i am looking for. I picked up a blank from the blade show and was thinking about making one but it would be my first project. I don't know if this is too ambitious of a project. any advice?

I tried making a Karambit a few years back. It was the first knife I had worked on from "known steel" (and the first knife I had worked on since I was a kid). Karambits are pretty tough projects. I ended up having to have a friend correct all of the mistakes I had made on it. I would probably recommend trying a different style blade as your first, and then do the Karambit after a few traditional style blades, but if you are ambitious....... go for it! Just expect to make mistakes your first go around and don't beat yourself or become discouraged. Use it as a learning point and drive on.

Pooch, I'm with Murph on this. Your best bet is to tackle a small fairly straight blade. That will be tough enough for a first knife. When you start just stick with it and don't get discouraged. Don't be afraid to ask us questions if you get in a jam. There is always someone on here that can give you a good answer. Start out by reading all you can find about knife making. Jump in and enjoy the wonderful world of knife making.

Larry

Back