Hunting Knife Set WIP

Frank Aguirre

Hello every one, I have wanted to do a wip for a while now and I have an order from one of my best customers that I wanted to use for the WIP. These knives are both cut from 1/8" CPM154cm. Here is a thread where I got the ideas for the knife styles. I got the steel in last week and got started this weekend. Here are some pics of my progress so far. They are not exactly as the drawings, cause I changed some things that felt more comfortable. This will be a slow process, since I am busy at the 9 to 5, and other knife orders are keeping me busy. Thanks for looking.

Picture2101077x808.jpg

Picture2111077x808.jpg

Picture2121077x808.jpg

Ok, tonight I used a small file to remove the burrs around the edges from grinding out the shape so I can get a flat surface.

I use the scribe to mark my center line, then grind at a steep angle till I reach the lines. Now I usually am too lazy to use the bubble jig and the steel guides for the plunge. This steel is not cheap and I want to ensure as much as I can that I don't bungle it up. I use a 40 grit blaze belt to get it this far. I will be switching to a new 120 grit belt next. If you seasoned guys see something I could be doing better by all means let me know. Stay tuned.........
Picture2151077x808.jpg

Picture2131077x808.jpg

Picture2141077x808.jpg

Today I got off work a bit early and went straight to work. I went up to 220 grit on the bevels. The edge is at .025 or is it .0025?. Any how after grinding the bevels I mark the pin and weight relief holes. After I get them drilled I clean up and check for a flat surface. This guy is ready for the trip to he spa. This week end I will do the same to the skinner knife and will post that one when its at the same point as this one. Thanks for looking.

Picture2171077x808.jpg

Picture2181077x808.jpg

Picture2191077x808.jpg

Back