Hi, ya'll, from Tennessee!

dobervol

I'm extremely happy I found this forum; I've always seen a rather obvious connection between dogs and knives, but some knife folks on other forums think I'm nuts in that regard.

While I normally don't go in for the introduction thread on huge forums (nobody's gonna remember who you are), this certainly appears to be a tight-knit enough community that it will serve a real purpose. I didn't have any chance to post any profile info. when I joined yesterday afternoon, and this morning was a bit shocked to find a couple folks had visited the profile already.

In many ways, this seems like a "Ph.D"-level group of folks, so ya'll can expect the vast majority of my posts to be of the question/request variety, since 99% of you know 99% more than I do about knives. In short, as a "knife enthusiast" and small collector, I'm here to learn. Some of the custom makers on this forum I've heard of, but some others I didn't know about sure make some incredible knives! :drool: The wife won't be at all happy about the $$ I'm sure I'll be sending to some of you! :biggrin:

As the handle implies, I love Dobermans, and have been around them most of my life. The "Vol" part is for Tennessee Volunteer sports. Other hobbies are motorcycles and guns. As shameful an admission as it may be, I'm an attorney.

I'm pleased to meetcha, and look forward to talking knives with you in the future.

Welcome, Sir. I don't normally have much to do with "Vols" being a "Wildcat" but I'll make an exception for a knife lover. I think you will be very happy with the fine people on this site - questions are answered in record time here and it is a 100% "G" rated site.

About the attorney thing - it's not your fault. 99% of the lawyers give the rest a bad name. Denny

Dobi, You're close. I'm about 15 miles east of Jamestown. One of these days you will get over being an attorney, I did. I practiced for 35 years in Georgia, then retired and moved to Tennessee so that I wouldn't have to answer all those questions. I would much rather answer questions about knife making or blacksmithing. Give me a call to see about coming over for a visit. I'm on the south end of Big South Fork. Denny keeps threatening to come over but you can't believe much of what he says.:s12137:

Welcome, Sir. I don't normally have much to do with "Vols" being a "Wildcat" but I'll make an exception for a knife lover. I think you will be very happy with the fine people on this site - questions are answered in record time here and it is a 100% "G" rated site.

About the attorney thing - it's not your fault. 99% of the lawyers give the rest a bad name. Denny

Thanks, Denny. The front door of my small, country law office is only about 8 miles from the KY line (Lafayette), so I have to get along with a lot of Wildcat fans, some of which are from Tennessee!

As for the lawyer bit, I suppose I'm a 1%er, but not in the biker gang way, lol. I grew up a farmboy, and in the course of representing a lot of blue collar folks over the years, I've developed an intense appreciation for those who are true craftsmen with metal and wood.

And I forget to mention my name. It's William, but I go by Joey--nearly age 43 and I still haven't dropped the "y", for some reason--go figure.

Last edited:
Dobi, You're close. I'm about 15 miles east of Jamestown. One of these days you will get over being an attorney, I did. I practiced for 35 years in Georgia, then retired and moved to Tennessee so that I wouldn't have to answer all those questions. I would much rather answer questions about knife making or blacksmithing. Give me a call to see about coming over for a visit. I'm on the south end of Big South Fork. Denny keeps threatening to come over but you can't believe much of what he says.:s12137:

Thanks, Wayne. I grew up in Smithville/DeKalb County, and we used to play York Institute in sports, and Fentress County was in the same district for 4-H purposes. Work sometimes takes me to Livingston, and now, my wife and I enjoy the ride on our motorcycles over your way. We've been to Rugby, and it's an incredibly beautiful ride. We've often talked about going back to do the Big South Fork riding tour thing. In all seriousness, I might like to drop by some time (give ya fair warning before I come, though!).

Forgot to mention: My wife is originally from Georgia (Carrollton); I tell people I couldn't find anyone in TN who'd have me. And yes, "answering all those questions" is getting tiring after almost 20 years. The image of the lone craftsman, toiling away in his workshop, sounds very romantic to me right about now in my professional life.

Last edited:
Welcome Joey. This is a "G" rated thread so we don't tell too many jokes about your profession, but the 1% sure do stand out.
There is a wealth of knowledge here, many good folks, and I would take up the offer to visit Mr. Coe. I've never met him but from
what I can tell he ain't all bad, can't speak for Denny though, who keeps posting what I'm thinking before I can. #%$#%&$!
My viszla is going to be 15 next month so I hear ya about dogs, I think Mr. Coe does too. Dozier

Denny, you better watch it! My blood flows VOLS orange! I'm from Columbia, TN. Welcome to the pound Mr. dobervol.

Welcome Joey. There are quite a lot of nice folks here on Knife Dogs. You'll get more answers than you need for most questions and the work shown here is top-notch. If you'd like check out the community section and there's a Tennessee group that Wayne is in charge of.

Pat

Back