Some of my work

FTO_dude

My name is Zac, or FTOdude.
I just turned 20 years old, I'm a student and i live in south-east Melbourne.
I've been a knife guy only for the past 2 years or so. I've owned swords for a few years before that too.
I suppose I was frustrated with the lack of variety and quality of fixed blades available from Aussie retailers so i decided to have a go at making my own.
After a little bit of messing around, getting to know steelworking, i jumped right into some leaf spring knives. they were not excellent.
DSC_0128.jpg

They sat in that condition for quite some time as i wasnt all too pleased with them.
instead i moved onto saw blades, they gave me a lot more experience in applying and shaping handles
DSC_0106-1.jpg

Christmas time came and i finally got myself a belt grinder, and thats when production kicked up a notch!
In the last couple of months i've just finished of these bad boys

The big sheep
D2 tool steel
12cm blade, 25cm overall
4mm thick
6mm stainless pins from a bbq rack
Jarrah scales with black liners
The sheath is of my creation too
DSC_0355.jpg

DSC_0363.jpg

Those leaf spring knives?
This one has a 13cm blade and is 26cm overall.
5160 Spring steel(From a Mazda)
The handle is homemade Micarta from hessian and fibreglass resin.
The pins are aluminium tubing from a hobby shop.
This was also my first attempt at kydex
DSC_0332.jpg

DSC_0323.jpg

DSC_0335.jpg

and finally this on is 36cm overall with a 19cm blade.
same steel
and again homemade micarta
DSC_0119.jpg

DSC_0130.jpg

DSC_0118.jpg

Love that final shot!

and just finished this one up yesterday
DSC_0173.jpg

Hope you guys like my stuff!

Those look great Zac. I really like the one with the Green handle. What is "hessian" ?

Welcome to the Pound too

Welcome. You are off to a good start IMHO. The sheepfoot is nice, like the scales alot. But the green mazda is my favorite. Bottom unit looks good btw. Dozier

Zac, you are deffinantly doing good work. I too like the green handled knife. It has some real nice lines and you deffinantly have the home brewed micarta down right. For those of us on this side of the big pond, hessian is burlap.

Doug Lester

Back