First Straight Razor

HELLGAP

Dealer - Purveyor
Here is my first straight razor . The grind is a wedge its 7/8 and made from aldos 1084 I hardend it to a little over 60 but in guessing because its harder than anything iver ever sanded of sharpened. I think it would test at 62 or 63 I tempered at 400 for 40 min and quenched in canola oil that was warmed to about 100 . The handle is ironwood and my own mosaic pin . This was my most fun project ive done . I have only honed it to 4000 grit on a japanese natural stone but need to go to 12 k to get it shave ready. The grinds are very tuff to do and I burned my thumbs alot lol.
HPIM2730.jpg
HPIM2728.jpg
HPIM2727.jpg
HPIM2722.jpg
HPIM2715.jpg
HPIM2716.jpg

That look's great I like the file work can I see a close up of your pins are you going to make a case for it?

Nice work buddy.
I have been wanting to make one of those myself. I like the rounded edges of the thumb area.

I like that last scary pic:D

Good looking razor.
I want to try one but skill level isn't up to it.

Any tips or difficulties you can share.
Thanks
mark

Mark they are pretty tuff to make. I burned both thumb now very sore then after suffieciently burning then I sanded through the skin enough that they both bleed quite abit too. I now and wearing gloves but gloves are no good you need to feel when the steel is heating up and so you dont over thin the blades down . I am pumped up but my neck wont let me today I can barely type but my thumbs arnt involved .Kellyw

I guess razors can be a danger in more than one way.:eek:

Hang in there and heal fast.

I've been working with creosoted lumber, every tiny sliver feels like a burning spear, finally got smart and used gloves.

Double the callus now, so probably a good time to try a razor. Just never seems to be enough time for everything.

Beautiful Kelly! I've been really wanting to make a straight lately but unfortunately just don't have the right grinder for it. I'm jealous of you guys that have room for a real grinder! One day (when I'm done with med school and out of a flippin apartment) I will have a shop where I can actually make what I want!

Thanks for posting, I hope you keep posting the razors you make, if nothing else so that I can live vicariously ;)

Thanks again.

Back