I need help with belts

Keith Willis

I have always purchased my belts from Pop's,and I am going to place an order this week.I know a lot of you have said,the Blaze that Tracy sells
is the best.I have bought a few ceramic belts,and have had no luck with
them.I was wondering has anyone used the yellow belts like Pops sells.
Would they be ok for hogging?
I am just trying to see what you all would suggest.I don't have a lot of money
so I was trying to get by as cheap as I can.
Thanks for any help,or advice.

God bless,Keith

I have tried the Blaze belts and they work well for me. I have heard other makers say that the 3M 967s cut a bit longer so I bought some of those but have not tried them yet.

Kieth, I have used the blue zirconia for years and recently purchased some BLAZE Orange belts. I think they are awesome and cut graet! Can only say, I wish I had of tried them sooner!

I dont think I have used the yellow belts from Pop's but will have to give them a shot! Please add a link.. Thanks

I have used the 967's and the 977's from pop's. The yellow and orange , they both work great . When doing the first hollow grind , i can get about 50 blades on 1 orange belt , and then i can use the belt for other things , such as grinding handles.

If you run your grinder fast the Blaze belts work great but the 3M yellow coloured ones work better if you grind with a slower speed like I do. Frank

Thanks guys,for all the replies.Any more help would be appreciated

Hey Frank,you must have read my mind.That was going to be my next question.
I thought I read somewhere that you had to run those belts pretty fast.
Sounds like I will be better off with the yellow ones.

Thanks again,
God bless,Keith

If they are the yellow klingspore they are great for wood .I have lots of belts I like norax for finishing and have blaze orange for hogging and grinding but Ive been told that gators are the best. I will be ordering some gators next time.

I've found that tapering tang and flat wear out a blet faster than anything. I use a 36 grit Blaze the follow up with the Yellow 3M belt that Pop sells. I do my inital grind the those same Yellow 3M ceramic belts. That last pretty long.
-John

Thanks for the help guys.

John,I am going to place an order later today,when I can call and talk to Pop

What belts do I need to get a fairly good satin finish off the grinder,or is that possible
Thanks for the help.

God bless,Keith

Back