Printers Blanket

BossDog

KnifeDogs.com & USAknifemaker.com Owner
Staff member
I have been trying out something new on my disc grinder. Normally I use feathering adhesive to mount 9"x11" sand paper and trim off the edge. That works great but the hard metal backing and thin sandpaper sheets makes for a bumpy grind some times.

Some one sent me a couple sheets of thin cloth backed rubber called Printers Blanket. (who ever sent that, please let me know I owe you something back)
This is a thin rubber sheet used in a printing press of some sort. It was used and came stained with ink. I cut it and mounted it to the wheel using 3M Super 77, a permanent spray adhesive and trimmed it to fit. Then I use that as mounting plate and use feathering adhesive on that and mount the sand paper. It still grinds flatter than the the belt grinder and the very thin layer does a great job of absorbing the bumps that comes with thin sheets of sand paper on a disc.

If you can find some printers blanket, give it a try and let us know how it works for you.

I haven't been able to find a source to buy a bunch of it- but I am looking.

I was given a small piece of rubber sheeting, approx. 1/8" thick, that I cut to fit the disc grinder. It works as you described and does a good job of absorbing the "bumps" you mentioned.

If you find a source for the material you mentioned I'd be interested.

Thanks,
SDS

I took a tip from Ed Caffrey and got some cork gasket from the local auto parts store. It's pulverized cork and rubber adhered in a sheet. I cut it to fit my disk, and it works a charm. I had a little left over that I'll probably put on a block for hand sanding those odd corners.

I took a tip from Ed Caffrey and got some cork gasket from the local auto parts store. It's pulverized cork and rubber adhered in a sheet. I cut it to fit my disk, and it works a charm. I had a little left over that I'll probably put on a block for hand sanding those odd corners.

I also took Ed's suggestion on the cork and really like it.

Shawn

I was curious what you guys use to hold your blade against the disk while you're grinding? I'm thinking about trying to grind a knife but I'm gonna be limited to my Powermatic 12" disk/6"x48" belt sander. I gotta use something to hold the blank against the disk that's for sure.

N

I was curious what you guys use to hold your blade against the disk while you're grinding? I'm thinking about trying to grind a knife but I'm gonna be limited to my Powermatic 12" disk/6"x48" belt sander. I gotta use something to hold the blank against the disk that's for sure.

N

I use my fingers for short sessions.

A few years ago I got tired of burning and scraping myself so I switched to gloves and kept taping them up with blue tape when I got them ground holes in them. I switched a year ago to safety tape and it's the best of both worlds. It's tight and keeps the heat away. You have to keep it dry or the water wicks the heat right in.

saf%20t%20tape.jpg

you can get it here: http://www.usaknifemaker.com/store/safttape-finger-tape-1-roll-34x30yards-p-1219.html

I have a 4"x36" with a 6" disc and this is a great idea.

What all do you use the machine for...flattening blanks?

I should look into the cork gasket.

I use a disc grinder to get things flat. A belt grinder does not. I rounds over the edges as the belt puckers around what ever you are grinding.

I haven't been able to locate printer's blanket yet either but will keep working on it. Meanwhile, doesn't the cork gasket material get pulled apart when you switch abrasive sheets? Just curious. Backing the paper sounds like a very good idea.

you are the google master...good to know.

if it works, I'll get a bulk roll and make it available.

That sounds good. Suddenly I'm very ambivalent about the hard face of my disc machine. :D

Has anyone had any experience changing paper with the cork backing?

I do not use cork but I hear tell that it does come apart and needs to be changed periodically. I use the rubber sheet but I also cut a sheet magnet to use on my disc. Then I glue the rubber to the magnet. This way I can pull it off when I want to do some heavy grinding.

Mcmaster Carr also has the sheet in smaller quantities. Here is the link http://www.mcmaster.com/#buna-n/vinyl-rubber-sheets/=3i527y

Well the link does not take you to the actual page but here are the specs

Shape Sheets, Bars, and Strips
Sheets, Bars, and Strips Form Sheet
Backing No Backing
Composition Rubber
Material Buna-N Rubber and Foam Rubber and Vinyl Rubber and Foam Rubber
Buna-N Rubber and Foam Rubber Type FDA-Compliant Oil- and Water-Resistant Buna-N/Vinyl Rubber
Vinyl Rubber and Foam Rubber Type FDA-Compliant Oil- and Water-Resistant Buna-N/Vinyl Rubber
Durometer Hard
Durometer Rating 70A
Lowest Temperature Range -24° to 0° F
Highest Temperature Range +211° to +250° F
Temperature Range -20° to +220° F
Tensile Strength Range 1001 to 2000 psi
Tensile Strength 2000 psi
Color White
Finish Smooth
Tolerance Standard
Specifications Met American Society for Testing and Materials (ASTM) and Food and Drug Administration (FDA)
ASTM Specification ASTM D2000 BK
FDA Specification FDA Compliant
Properties Oil Resistant

here is a catalog page link http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/115/3473/=3i54kr

Last edited:
I haven't been able to locate printer's blanket yet either but will keep working on it. Meanwhile, doesn't the cork gasket material get pulled apart when you switch abrasive sheets? Just curious. Backing the paper sounds like a very good idea.

If you have any printers in your area, call them and ask if you can have the old blankets. My roommate worked for a printer 10 or so years ago and he has a few of them left, it pretty good for covering a light duty workbench too.

The blanket is used in a drum printing press. the ink is rolled onto the blanket and the blanket transfers the image to paper. It is quite common for a small piece of crud to get on the blanket and once that is rolled, the crud makes a dent in the blanket and it will no longer print properly, so they go through the blankets often.

Back