A couple puukko like objects

Raymond Richard

Forum Owner & Moderator
Here's a couple I finished up this week. Both are 5" overall. One has a dyed figured oak handle and a O-7 blade. The other a blackwood handle, iron fittings and I'm just not sure what the blade steel is. They are the smallest knifes I've made for a while.

IMG_1438.JPG

IMG_1439.JPG

Cool knives. I really like the way you finish the fittings out. Those are both slick but I'm partial to that oak handled one.

SDS

Cool knives. I really like the way you finish the fittings out. Those are both slick but I'm partial to that oak handled one.

SDS

If the oak one was the only one I'd also like it the best. Its a lot more traditional than the one with the blackwood handle. I like that one better mainly because of the choil. There both cute but I have cut myself on the oakie. Normally I don't sharpen the blades till after I have the sheaths made. I pre sharpened it mainly because of the no choil.

I like pukkos myself but they deserve a little more care in handling than typical finger guarded knives. Try and take one away from a Scandinavian and you'll have a fight on your hands though..

Tracy, The few Scandinavian's I know have all there fingers. The thing I like about the puukko's is the simplicity of the knife. I maybe doing more in the future except they will be larger. These two were almost to small for me to work on.

Raymond, I can certainly see how it would be easy to cut yourself on that oak handled one. From an aesthetic point of view I really like it. One like that with a small little guard on the front (cutting edge) side would make that a great little neck knife. I know the guard isn't traditional but I'm not Scandanavian either.

SDS

Raymond, I can certainly see how it would be easy to cut yourself on that oak handled one. From an aesthetic point of view I really like it. One like that with a small little guard on the front (cutting edge) side would make that a great little neck knife. I know the guard isn't traditional but I'm not Scandanavian either.

SDS

Ever wonder how many Scandinavians are still traditional? :D

I prefer a guard for a couple three reasons. First safety and second I think the knife looks more complete with one. It can change the total look of a knife if done right in a good way. I'm working on a skinner now with a long half guard. I'll try and remember to bring the camera out to the shop after I get some breakfast.

Back