WTB good used Rockwell Hardness Tester

Bruce Bump

Forum Owner-Moderator
I'm tired of paying money to harden my stainless because I dont have a rockwell tester. I've been going to the college to use theirs for years and its a PITA.
Anybody have one for sale or trade?

Bruce,
I picked up a new in the box Ames portable model 2 with all the testing blocks and penetrators on fleabay for $400 a few months ago. My advice is keep your eyes open over there. They have a lot that pop up and you can get them for $300 to $500. The Ames testers are greater because they are small and portable and you don't have to pay for freight. They are very easy to use and very accurate as well.
-John

There's a Model 4 on ebay with a day+ plus left on the auction. It's in Israel with an asking price of $500. Maybe send an email and make an offer? There's another model 4 listed for $759. (Is this post too old and I'm kicking a dead dog?)

Heads up

Be careful of what you order.
I contacted a rep from Ames/ Newage company about a month ago about info on this type of portable http://cgi.ebay.com/Fowler-Model-53...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item5882b199fd (example)
He finally got back to me about after a week and told me that the company no longer backed up this product with parts or service since some models were 30 - 40 years old. This applies to any other portables made by Ames in that age group. I wish I had saved his e-mail but he went on to say that indenters might be a problem to find and these units required a special fluid in the body to operate properly. He guessed that distilled water may work(?) His advise was to go with a mechanical or digital tester. These units were made by Ames for distribution under many other company names.
Saved me from wasting some money on someone else's junk.
I hope this helps before anyone wastes theirs.

Thanks,
Rudy

I also use an Ames portable. It works and it was quite a bit less than a full bench model but I wish I had a full bench model.

Phil, this thread is still relevent. I'm still in the market. I have my heart set on a bench model. I know one will show up someday.

Thanks guys, keep looking.

Back