Knife making method

sicilian767

Had a question for y'all about knife making methods. Do you guys usually forge your knives, use a stock removal method, or both? Which way usually turns out better? Or are they about the same? I'm trying to get a better idea on what method most custom knife makers use, or maybe both are equally effective. Hope to hear some input. Thanks!

I use stock removal currently, but one day would like to start forging.

Does one method make a better knife than another? Not inherently.

What ultimately makes one knife better than the other? If I could narrow it down to only two things, it would be:

1) Geometry
2) Heat Treat

Both can be maximized regardless of whether your forge or use stock removal.

So what benefit is there to forging? Well, for one, you are not limited as much by stock size or shape. It's easier to do certain things via a hammer, anvil and forge that wouldn't be as possible with stock removal, such as drifting a hole for a hatchet head for instance, or making more decorative accents to your work.

Benefit to stock removal? It's typically a bit faster and more straight forward. You can also use more exotic steels than would normally be impractical to forge. I'd say it's also a lot easier to learn, and cheaper to get started. $50 worth of steel, files and sandpaper can get you well on your way.

Not to say you can't forge on a budget, but it will be harder.

Yeah, that's what I was thinking for the main advantages and disadvantages of stock removal versus forging. I currently use stock removal until I get an anvil and hammers, but there's just something really cool and fascinating I find with forging a blade. It has a kinda.......mystical feel to it in a way. Like, this is the way we made our tools for over 2,000 years, and I just really love the art of it. I guess as a guy, it satisfies my love of fire, smashing with a hammer, and then out of that you create a true work of art, and make something beautiful. I just love that, and that's what really got me into knife making. Taking a raw piece of steel, and making something useful and beautiful that can last many generations to come. Can't get over how cool that is to me. So I guess that's one of the reasons I would choose to forge, even if stock removal is an option.

For now though, I find stock removal a really practical and easy to learn way of making knives. My family's horse farrier gave me some old horse shoes that I can practice forging on. It's not great knife steel, but it would make for a decent letter opener, and a little something to help get my practice up to par.

I make mostly culinary knives so I personally prefer using modern stainless steels like CPM-154 & CPM-S35VN. These allow me to make fine knives by stock removal/Grinding

those that enjoy forging are truly in the Pyromaniac camp.:biggrin:
You are limited to using carbon steels unless you know very advanced forging techniques. The stainless will oxidize in a forge.

Andrew has it right with the most important things being the geometry & heat treatment.

Have fun.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

those that enjoy forging are truly in the Pyromaniac camp.
Hey I resemble those remarks :). I'm in the forge camp. I like the freedom forging allows, you are not stuck to the length and width of the stock. There is something cool to see a blade come to shape under your hammer.

I mainly forge to shape. All of my knives have some stock removal for cleanup. I started forging and love hammering something new out of a piece of steel. I have made a couple all stock removal pieces, does not give me the same feeling of creating something that forging does.

I find both can make a good knife, the real issues that make a good knife are blade geometry & heat treatment as has already been noted.

I feel you have more control over the creation of a forged knife. MHO

Hey I resemble those remarks :). I'm in the forge camp. I like the freedom forging allows, you are not stuck to the length and width of the stock. There is something cool to see a blade come to shape under your hammer.

Brad,
You can buy stock in different dimensions.:biggrin: I usually buy by the sheet.

Both are fine, and what ever works for the desired end result.

There is no wrong way to make a knife.

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Forging is very organic; primal even. Its in a humans DNA to heat metal in fire and pound it into a shape. Forging is my favorite part of the knife making routine.

Back