Brainstorm anyone?

Joetrain

I just started work on a knife but I find myslef unemployed and in a financial bind so I can't afford to buy any more materials. Anyone know a cheap handle material (and by cheap I mean as close to free as possible)? If I have to I'll just wait until I can purchase something, I really don't want to screw this one up.

might help us if you tell us what kind of knife your building and what you think might be a "good" material for it.

as for free, all you have to do is look around you and i'd guess there are piles of good candidates for a handle.

i have a custom wood shop and shovel loads of scrap wood into the wood stove every morning that could be a great handle... not fancy, but good. might hit up a local shop and see if they will let you go through their dump bin.

Erik

Erik

You might give a local cabinet or counter top shop a call. Heck, even a hardwood flooring store.

Personally, I'd lean towards the countertop shop and try to get something like Corian. Drops from a cabinetry or flooring shop would likely need (or at least benefit from) stabilization, though depending on the wood type, may be ok with just a good coat of oil.

I've seen some of the stacked leather handles and i have plenty of that lying around so maybe I'll give that a go. thanks for the tips.

Hate to admit it, but I was making some knives for me for camping, and being inherently cheap, I found a three pack of bamboo cutting boards for around 11 bucks at Walmart or target and used that for grips. Ended up working so well, I made three more with the bamboo to have others try it out. So far the stuff has worked out really well and I still have two boards left.

You might give a local cabinet or counter top shop a call. Heck, even a hardwood flooring store.

Personally, I'd lean towards the countertop shop and try to get something like Corian. Drops from a cabinetry or flooring shop would likely need (or at least benefit from) stabilization, though depending on the wood type, may be ok with just a good coat of oil.

Andrew,
Most Flooring woods are already stabilized these days.

Joe,
If you want? P.M. me & send me your address and $5.50 for shipping through Paypal and I will send you a small USPS Priority mail box full of ether white or a brown bamboo flooring that I have made many handles out of.

Most Counter top places will give you some scraps that will be big enough to work.

Abandoned furniture from the alley can work great too. Walnut, Oak ash etc..

Laurence

www.rhinoknives.com

Back