Kydex Press My Way

mosto

Sometimes on Sunday evening when the oven is above 1010C and the handles are under the clamps for glueing andyou don't have the right mind to grind... you can always make a chepaskate kydex press.

Sincerely I always prefer to make leather sheats but it's worth to try to build some kydex sheats sometimes. It's always worth to learn new things.

Here it is the list of materials, obviously they are cheap and you can easily find in you garage or somewhere under the hidden box under your stairs...

Sizes are only indicatuive, find your self the materials and then let decide your istinct. But the more precise you are, the better.

Two pieces of plywood 2,5cm (1") thick
1 piece long as the wider side of the plywood ones and thick about 7,5cm (3")
A camping matress
Two door hinges or something similar
Some screws
Here there are the pictures showing better than words.

kydex_press_01.jpg

kydex_press_02.jpg

kydex_press_03.jpg

But there are quite simple steps: first glue and screw the slab on one side of the ply wood. Cut all the camping matress in squares of the preferred size stacking and gluieing. Screw the hinges to the plywood on top. Glue and stack other camping amtress squares. refine everything under a bandsaw (optional :) )

Estimated time of making: about twenty minutes.

Fun time for this simple kydex press: as it lasts!

Cheers!

Last edited:
Nice Press :D. How do you plan to press it togheter. I have some clamps, but i have trouble to find good ones, so i planing to screw on a chain and use a nail or something to hook the chain on.

Seved

I usually put clamps on it. Any clamps will work I suppose.

The chain is a good hint, i will try also to use it.

If I'm in hurry I simply put on the floor and step or sit on it: my weight is enough!
;)

The chain method should be fast and when its cooling i can do other things.

Seved

Back