Outrage: NYC DA Shakes Down Knife Retailers

Critter

New Yorkers Being Deprived of Popular Pocket Knives

The New York County (Manhattan) District Attorney's office appears to be engaged in a shakedown of local businesses, forcing them to pay six-figure so-called "contributions" or risk unwarranted criminal penalties, in a move more like that of organized crime than the agency charged with protecting citizens, said a national group representing the rights of Americans who own and use pocket knives. Knife Rights Chairman, Doug Ritter, said, "the New York County District Attorney, Cyrus Vance, Jr. appears to have targeted legitimate, honest knife dealers, accused them of selling illegal 'gravity knives,' and threatening criminal prosecution if they don't pay up. The so-called "gravity knives" in question appear to be conventional one-handed and assisted-opening knives, which represent 80 percent of the pocket knives sold in the U.S. today." Some of the major retailers have reported agreed to six-figure settlements and have netted reportedly nearly two million dollars.

Knife Rights was instrumental in passing legislation last summer, in response to a misinterpretation of law by U.S Customs and Border Protection, that specifically excepted these common pocket knives used daily by millions of Americans from the definition of a switchblade under the Federal Switchblade Act. The legislation was supported by Customs and was passed by U.S. Congress, with strong bipartisan support, and signed into law by President PHRASECENSOREDPOSTERSHOULDKNOWBETTER. on October 28, 2009.

Ritter said, "Given the passage of this legislation, the DA is attacking people who sell knives that were clearly defined by Congress as simple pocket knives, legislation that was supported by leading Democratic lawmakers such as Henry Waxman (D-CA), Charles Rangel (D-NY), David Obey (D-WI) and others. This action is not only unethical; it places Mr. Vance at odds with even liberal urban lawmakers and outside the mainstream on this issue."

Among the dozen or so businesses that have reported to have been targeted in New York City are Eastern Mountain Sports, Orvis, Paragon Sports, Lowe's and Home Depot. At least one out-of-state Internet retailer has been targeted.

You can view one of a number of news articles and images of the DA's Thursday afternoon news conference (held after this initial Knife Rights new release was sent out) here: http://bit.ly/ar7FLT

The six-figure so-called "contributions" are being made to a "public education fund" controlled by the DA in order to secure "deferred prosecution" agreements to avoid threatened criminal charges. Additional outrageous and over-reaching demands have also apparently been made to avoid prosecution.

Said Ritter, "This appears to be little more than extortion on the part of a District Attorney who appears determined to shake down honest businesses and remove from the New York market common tools used daily by New Yorkers in their homes, in business and while recreating. These are simple pocket knives, legitimate tools used every day by millions of law-abiding Americans."

Knife Rights' attorneys have been in contact with some of these companies and their lawyers. The DA seems primarily interested in bludgeoning these knife dealers into submission. Not all his targets have agreed to terms and Knife Rights is working to protect these retailers and their customers from this outrageous abuse of power.

The businesses shaken down so far have agreed to "cooperate," agreed to onerous terms of dubious merit and agreed to pay substantial so-called "contributions" to avoid further difficulties and risk even more significant defense costs and potential criminal penalties and fines, as unwarranted as they might be. To these corporations and business owners, it appears they view this shakedown by the DA as simply a cost of doing business in New York City. Said Ritter, "we expect to see this sort of corrupt behavior by the government in third-world countries, not in America. New Yorkers and all Americans should be outraged by this behavior."

Knife Rights urges any knife dealer who has already been served by the New York County DA to contact us immediately.

Based on information obtained so far, Knife Rights believes this may be only the first wave of such attacks on knife dealers by this DA, both in New York and elsewhere. We urge any knife dealer who is served papers, arrested or whose stock is seized by the DA to please contact us immediately. Knife Rights is prepared to assist dealers in fighting this reprehensible action by the DA.

Knife Rights is monitoring this situation in New York City vigilantly and will follow-up with more details as we can release them.

Knife Rights may be contacted at: nycity@KnifeRights.org or toll-free: 1-866-889-6268

They are out of control!!:mad:

Ask my friend Larry(La Cigars) what they do to him!! They are wanting these business's gone!!

I wish everyone, Including middle class would/could leave NY. This way them greedy POS's get nothin!! Let's see them survive without "ROBBING" business's and middle class tax payers!! Very SAD!!!

Extorsion is the perfect word.
Al Capone must of been re-incarnated recently. Seems this behavior is prevalent in goverment policies as of late. That DA is basicly selling favors and will keep doing it if nobody stops him. He must have better things to do. Can't his superiors see what he's doing? It's always the little guy. Sad is true.

Rudy

After having the opportunity to meet Doug, and knowing how passionate he is about protecting the rights of knife owners, I have no doubt that Knife Rights will be all over this like a rabid chihuahua on the mail man's ankle.

Doug, "Thank You" for supporting and defending the rights of knife owners.

I have always found DAs to abuse their power. They will torture the facts in order to prosecute (read: persecute) the public.

This case is so blatant an abuse as to defy reason. If I agree not to prosecute a case in exchange for money I would be charged a crime. Now Mr DA, explain to me why what you are doing is not a crime.

This man is out of control, should loose his job, be prosecuted, and disbarred.

The Daily News had a picture of the table full of illegal knives and they are all just pocket knives and the picture included the folding sheetrock knife that I carry every day because being a carpenter I really do use this knife every day all day this really is outrageus and I'm very glad someone is trying to stop these clowns in there tracks

I think this is good info, BUT let's try to control our responses and not let this thread get heated. Dont let this get political. Email or PM kniferights or you elected officials if you want to help.
-John

Absolutely insane. Aren't there a bit more pressing issues to be dealt with in this country that don't involve pocket knives? Maybe they should devote their time to something that is a bit more of a problem like, oh I don't know, how about all the illegal guns that run rampant on the streets. This isn't the 50's where gangs are having rumbles and pulling blades on each other. That era is gone and dead. Gangbangers have evolved from knives as the weapon of choice to firearms. Nobody uses knives anymore in fights, they just pull put a gun instead now.

And really? They're going after places like Home Depot for carrying things like sheetrock knives and razor knives. Why don't they go and take the axe's away too and any other sharp instruments they sell. I'm no political whiz but I'm farily certain there are bigger problems in this country that the government can use taxpayer dollars for to focus on before they go pulling all the sharp and pointy things out of everyday citizens hands.

Blatant abuse of power seems to be more and more the norm these days. It's as if those in power are somehow insulated from those they serve. This is not a new thing, however. It is simply history repeating itself. Always remember, a fish rots from the head.

Back