Two new knives...damascus and pearl inside :)

papi

Hey everyone,
i just finished these two. I'm a bit too dead from all the carving i have done today, so i'll just spit out a few specs, and let you look at the pics :)

The dolphin:
Blade: 3" Al May star twist damascus
Bolsters: same as blade
Scales, pivot and thumbstud inlays: Blacklip
This knife is my last with the blacklip pearl. I had some allergic reactions to the blacklip before, like uncontrollable sneezing and stuff like that, but this time, i had a reaction so bad, that i decided this was the last one. I'm really not going through this again. Funny thing is that i can take ironwood, mammoth, white MOP, basically any material... Oh well...
IMG_5128.jpg

IMG_5129.jpg

And the other one is the dagger
Blade: just a hair shy of 3", Al May star twist damascus
Scales: Robert Eggerling damascus, carved, etched and heat colored, with gold MOP inlays. Inlaid lock.
IMG_5131.jpg

IMG_5133.jpg

IMG_5132.jpg

IMG_5135.jpg

Thanks for looking, let me know what you think :)
Take care, Ondrej

The Dolphin is an exceptional looking piece. Are you allergic to shellfish?

I was told that you have to use respirators and ventilation with G10 and some other materials or they will attack the lungs like fiberglass.

Thank you guys, i really appreciate your comments :)

Rock, that's the funny thing about it - i love sea-food, i can work with white MOP with no effects, but the blacklip ticks me off somehow.
I have a nicely ventilated shop, and i use respirators, but the allergy is more like rash than a breathing problem. What can you do, right?

Ondrej

Thank you :) Al, coming from you, it really means a lot :) When Jim sent me that bar, i was a bit afraid i would mess it up... luckily i didn't, although, with that double grind, it wasn't for the lack of trying :D :D :D :D :rofl:

Ondrej

Good to see you are continuing with your fine quality of work, Papi !!! I'm continuing with some carving myself. It seems I've gone back to some of my older styles and am trying to do more (?) with them. I believe that carved piece you did to be very lovely both in design and workmanship !!!
Sorry to hear about the allergy to the black lip. I've got a terrific problem with cocobolo.Fortunately, I haven't found the need to use any in the last several years and will not in the future. I will, as always, look for more of your work in the future. Thanks for showing these. Frank

Thank you Frank, i have seen your carved pieces, and they are just amazing! I don't do carving a lot, but i have to say, it is kinda fun....in its worst possible, torturous way - especially for a patience challenged guy like me. When i carve something, i don't usually struggle with the material, as much as with myself and a desire to throw that darn thing out of a closed window :D But it seems i'm still winning, and the results are worth it (hopefully).
The interesting thing about the cocobolo is, i can handle it with no problem, as i can any exotic wood. It's just the blacklip that makes me all twitchy...

Ondrej

Last edited:
Wow Papi. That dagger is magnificent. Your work is always amazing to me. Too bad you're allergic to the black lip because you make it look so good.

Pat

Wow, those are beautiful. Especially like the lines of the second one. It's a knife that I would lable as "sexy."

Charlie

Back