1st Ironwolf designed 'Maverick' pics

Ironwolf

The Knife Poet
So,I had Jeff Mutz make up a few blades for me from one of my "3 Finger +" designs,'cause I wanted to offer my customers a compact,"polite carry" blade:
something big enough to use,but small enough to be low-profile,and elegant enough that when someone did see it it raised an appreciative eyebrow.
The Maverick is the result...
IMG_0318.jpg

MaverickKnives083.jpg

MaverickKnives047.jpg

IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0265.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0248.jpg

IMG_0249.jpg

Last edited:
Looks good Wolf.What type of wood is that?
Hey Wolf,can you show a few more pics of that block that is holding
the knife on the last pic?Does the knife just sit in the groove or is it clamped?
I know it looks simple enough,but we with simple minds:eek:,
need a little help :D

God bless,Keith

Thanks Keith,the scales on this one is "Lion's Blood" amboyna burl.
The block the knife is clamped in is my file-working station:
it's a 2X4 screwed to a plywood base to raise it to just the right height (for me),
and a maple jaw with two 2" woodscrews through it.
Put the blade in place,tighten the screws and presto,the simplest jig you can imagine.
The other side of the block has a slot sawn along the length of it that the blade sits in when I transfer measurements from the painter's tape onto the spine of the knife.
I lay out 1/16" increments onto the tape,cut a narrow strip off it,then tape it centered on the knife spine and tang so everything is precisely laid out.

Thanks Billy!
I saw a How To article in Blade Magazine once and that's kinda the set-up the maker uses to hand finish his blades,except he uses C clamps to hold his blade
in place.
lol,I only have 4 C clamps,and they were in use at the time,so I just used screws instead. <grin> Just about every jig and '3rd hand' I make is spur of the moment,mickey-mouse and simple (but work great)...kinda like me! ;)

Very good procedures to advance the work quality as well as to hold the work to be done! May seem simple but thought out and found BEFORE doing the work. Beautiful wood for sure and certainly finished to get the most it can give. Frank

It is amazing how many different ways we can come up to the same end. Whatever works for is what works--- the end result is nice.

Thanks my friend!
Yes,it's "Lion's Blood" amboyna burl.
I picked up 3 sets of book-matched scales a couple years ago
and have been sittin' on 'em for something special.
First time I've worked with it,and I love this stuff!
After I shaped and carved the scales,I started sanding with 150 grit
and worked my way up to 600 grit,then polished it lightly with a dry felt wheel.
Almost a mirror finish...
Beautiful wood!
MaverickKnives051.jpg

Last edited:
That be a darn handsome lookin' knife there, Ironwolf! Congratulations on the fine craftsmanship! 2thumbs

good design...amboyna is nice to work with, it smells great when worked...

That be a darn handsome lookin' knife there, Ironwolf! Congratulations on the fine craftsmanship! 2thumbs

Thanks guys.
I can't take credit for making the blade:that's Jeff Mutz who took my design from paper to steel for me.
All I did was make it pretty! :D
I'm looking forward to the next batch 'cause some are gonna be in S30V,and others 5160 (forged)!
And yeah,that amboyna smell almost like a really sweet cedar,but be careful guys:I forgot to wear a dust mask when I was roughing out
the handle profile,and after awhile got a rippin' head-ache.

All around good idea, a beautiful knife in a small package that anyone would be proud to carry and not scare the sheeple. Good Job. Dan

Maverick sheath,done!

So I tried something different with the finish,never done this before and I think I like it...

DSCN0124.jpg

DSCN0130.jpg

DSCN0126.jpg

IMG_0320.jpg

IMG_0323.jpg

IMG_0332.jpg

IMG_0333.jpg

IMG_0337.jpg

IMG_0342.jpg

Last edited:
Coming from a man who thinks most sheaths should have that "antique look," I have to say, very nice job Wolf. The sheath really compliments the knife.

Back