Little something I whipped up on a trial piece of handle material.

Fletch Helical

So I ordered some acrylic blocs that I wanted to check out how they looked finished. I bought a couple blocks that I liked and there was one I wasn't sure about and I got a small scrap test piece to see how it looked finished. I kind of liked the scrap piece but I just cut a thin slice and made it shine. Then I got the idea that that it seemed kind of a waste to just have a nice shiny piece of acrylic that is essentially useless.

So I then decided to take one of the blocks I bought and see how that looked finished. But again I said to myself "why just have a finished square piece of useless acrylic?" So I figured I'd try and make something out of it... Here is what I came up with.

What I need to do is come up with an easy way to hold it in place when I'm sanding and filing it. Holding it in my fingers the whole time it a bit of a challenge. I can't tell you guys how many times that thing slipped out of my hand and bounced behind every possible nook it can find under my workbench :eek:

pendant2.jpg

pendant1.jpg

pendant3.jpg

Drill the hole and install the eyelet first, to have something to vise/hold onto? That would be a start anyway.

It's a cool idea for making use of those little scraps that accumulate.

Drill the hole and install the eyelet first, to have something to vise/hold onto? That would be a start anyway.

It's a cool idea for making use of those little scraps that accumulate.

Thanks, I was going to do that but I figured if I did that I would have a heck of a time polishing up the top part of the heart. And I didn't want to keep screwing/unscrewing the eyelet every time I changed grits. Few people suggested hot gluing it to something like a popsicle stick. Maybe try that next time.

What a great idea for using up your scraps...my daughter and I use our stabilized wood scraps (cutoffs from our knife scales) by making them into bookmarks. It's fun and makes great gifts.

Christina

Back