Motley Crew

David Wesner

Found these guys about 20 yds from the shop huh1 huh1

I have a bad, BAD time with little guys like this ......... can't help but fall in love with them :eek:

I know - I've been a trapper since I was a young boy. Caught more beaver, otter, fisher & mink than you could care to count.
Now ?? Couldn't tell you what happened but at 49 I'm a big softy :)

These guys are so tiny they're falling all over each other just trying to walk.
Funnier than heck !! They were right at our feet.

My daughter and I counted 7 little ones :eek: :eek:

FWIW, I posted this several places so if you've already seen it, sorry for the ditto

100_6997-2.jpg

100_6994-1.jpg

100_6999-3.jpg

Just had to show that to my daughter :D She thinks skunks are cute as the dickens, too.

I've heard that skunks are pretty smart and can make good pets if you have the scent glands removed. Supposed to be very clean, can be litter trained and so forth. I always thought a pet skunk would make a heck of a conversation-starter!

I was a big trapper and hunter when I was younger and now I hate to see an animal hit on the road it is "older" age creeping up on us! and the skunk would have made a good conversation piece.

As to pets: Aren't they nocturnal? You go to bed and they get up, wonder around and get into stuff and keep you awake. Also, isn't it illegal to possess a native wild animal? Wonder where mama was. Oh yes, as to the sent glands, they are born loaded so be careful and don't startle them.

Just had to show that to my daughter :D She thinks skunks are cute as the dickens, too.

I've heard that skunks are pretty smart and can make good pets if you have the scent glands removed. Supposed to be very clean, can be litter trained and so forth. I always thought a pet skunk would make a heck of a conversation-starter!

Man oh man James :) Your little girl is right-on about the cute part .

I've heard the same thing about them making good pets ;) However, I do not plan on trying to find the truth in that one. No-way ! :D

FWIW, my Grandma (RIP) used to tell us kids about a skunk she had when she was a little girl.

I was a big trapper and hunter when I was younger and now I hate to see an animal hit on the road it is "older" age creeping up on us! and the skunk would have made a good conversation piece.

Good to hear I'm not the only one ;) :eek:

As to pets: Aren't they nocturnal? You go to bed and they get up, wonder around and get into stuff and keep you awake. Also, isn't it illegal to possess a native wild animal? Wonder where mama was. Oh yes, as to the sent glands, they are born loaded so be careful and don't startle them.

I believe you're correct Wayne. That could cause "issues" :)

I'm not even considering keeping one - not even close ! That being said, I think you need - and can quite easily get, a permit to keep a critter like this.

I've come to find out the "experts" claim an 8 days "grace period" on the little ones ability to spray.
I'm not going to test that one either :running dog:

For keeping one as a pet, the moral issues surrounding the "de-scenting" of a skunk would be a tough hurdle to overcome. You might have a hard time finding a vet that would perform the operation.

Hey guys, Thanks for sharing my excitement with these little buggers 2thumbs

:)

Hope I didn't sound irresponsible, guys :eek: The mama was probably off gathering food or something, I didn't mean to imply anyone should just "adopt" any ol' critter they find :)

Regardless it can be neat to have wild animals on the property. Just keep the garbage cans locked up and keep plenty tomato juice on hand in case the family dog or cat discovers them, too! :eek:

The PBS show recently about skunks said use baking soda, I think. We have always found that powered Massengill Douche works wonders. Just put it on the (dog) dry. The spray is oil based and the powders, among other things, absorbs the oils. I think that they also have some chemical reactions to the oils.

I've known two people who have had pet skunks. Both had to wear heavy leather gloves to get them out from under their beds. Didn't look like much fun...

Wayne, you can't use the Massengill on the cat but you can use it on the dog? Now that just defies logic!

A bath in tomato juice take care of the smell of skunks.

My Father raised some years ago, He removed the scent glands himself.
Even my Mother said they were better pets than cats.

That tomato juice thing doesn't work too good. Even though I'd been told it was an old wives tale I tried it again anyway a while back when my dog got sprayed. All it did was make him smell like tomato juice and skunk.

I wound up going to the vet and getting the shampoo they have for that. It's called skunk off or something like that and it does work.

That tomato juice thing doesn't work too good. Even though I'd been told it was an old wives tale I tried it again anyway a while back when my dog got sprayed. All it did was make him smell like tomato juice and skunk.

I wound up going to the vet and getting the shampoo they have for that. It's called skunk off or something like that and it does work.

Dogs? I thought we were talking about people. :D
I know first hand that it works on people, I was sprayed when I was younger:eek:
Maybe that why I like the smell of skunk:rolleyes:

Back