Leather Handled Fixed Blades?

TrentRock

I notice no one makes leather handled fixed blades?
Is there a reason why they are not popular?
I'm guessing durability issues?:confused:
I love leather handled knives...........:eek:

They're certainly very good looking, but it seems to get them to stand up to a lot of use they have to be well-sealed, almost stabilized. (We've all seen old K-bars, USAF knives etc with rotten handles) That takes away from the really comfy feel plain leather handles have when new.

Maybe it's just because we're so spoiled these days with dozens of handle material choices that are both durable and beautiful.

The short answer is, I don't know! :D

I think one other reason is leather is not what it once was in the past.
Most tannerys can't afford to leave hides in the vat as long as they did in the past. Six months was the norm when I was a kid, that has been shortened to four or less and the process sped up with chemicals.

If you bye a pair of leather soled boots or shoes you would be hard pressed to get six months wear out of the sloes. The leather is not as firm as it once was. To be fair to the tannerys, the cattle that the hide comes off of are also younger and the hide is not as tough or durable.

I have leather handles on my drawknives, can't beat the feel of good leather on a using handle.

I also like the way they look, but I think another reason you don't see them as much is that they just aren't as strong. A more solid handle material bolsters the strength of the tang. Even when the leather is new, it has a lot more flex than wood/micarta/bone etc. I'm not saying I'll never make one, but I'd be more inclined to use a few as spacers, then finish the handle off in a rigid material.

I seem to remember hearing that horsehide and buffalo hide are much tougher than cowhide. Is this true, and does anyone know of a source? Just a thought...

I won't make one for a spec piece but if someone wants a leather handle I don't mind doing it.

You can buy good firm leather but you have to pay for it but even then it's not as stable as other choices for handle material.

I have stacked Micarta, G10 or Masonite to get the similar look and also a more stable handle.

Recently I talked with the guys at Dutchmans and they are seeing if they can stabilize leather pieces to use for a stacked leather handle.

In WWII they found that the rodents would eat the handles off of the knives. In VietNam they were subject to Jungle Rot and would fall apart.
dennie

I've only made one and I thought that I had treated the leather correctly. I've never used it and after sitting for two years the leather shrank enough that you can feel the transitions between handle material with your finger tip. Leather just doesn't seem to be very stable.

003.jpg

I stll make them and always liked the look and feel.
I cut my washers and put them under vacuum in polyurethane untill no more air bubbles are seen escaping. Squish them under a heavey steel plate and let dry. They dry a little darker but not much. There's a pic of one in my profile pics.

Rudy

Back