G10 for spacers

ArtinNC

I see G10 comes in 006, 014, 020 anyone use this for spacers on a full tang knife? Do you think it would be better than the fiber spacer.
Thanks for your comments.

Hello Art.
The fiber spacers will expand when wet and then shrink. They created a few messes for me in the past when I made kitchen knives. I've used the G10 ones on folders with mammoth tooth. It is good to work with. Very clean even to thin down say the .020 ones. Alpha knife Supply has them on hand . They can be most helpful on dimesional sizes. Frank

It still needs finishing up a bit but this has tufnol spacers:

DSC03016-1.jpg

Hey Art,

I've used it a bunch. Only problem is the red, it never looks red against any wood.
At best it looks maroon, mostly it looks brown.
When used with black G-10 or micarta it looks better.

Greg

Thanks for the help. Alpha knife Supply Is where I saw it. Think I'm going to order some.

I've worked with G10 scales a couple times and it sure is stable. I only recently heard it was available in such thin stock, that sounds perfect for spacers and liners. Thanks, guys.

I use it to back mammoth tooth. The tan colored stuff blends well with mammoth tooth left its natural tan color. I countersink my bolt holes down to the G-10 so I can tighten without worrying about cracking the slabs. Haven't used it with any other handle materials but I will at some point.

Back