Questions on knife shipping

Archer Moon

I just sold a knife off Gunbroker and need to ship it. The knife will fit in a small flat rate box with plenty of packing. What is the best way to ship knves? Does insurance from USPS cover my knife? Should I look for a differant shipper? First time shipping one of my knives. I am a little nerves.

Thanks in advance. James Clair, Archer Moon.

I use USPS for most all my shipping.Pack well and tape the box securely.Get insurance to cover the price of the knife and get a tracking number.
Stan

Nervous doesn't even describe it.
The first one I shipped went UPS/insurance, but the third degree about the package content at the desk really put me off. Subsequently I've shipped USPS/delivery confirmation and insurance on paid value without any problems.

I pack the knife/ sheath seperately in a HD carboard tube with both adresses on it and then pack that in a flat rate box. If asked for a description of contents, I use "fabricated metal parts". I'm still amazed at how things get to where they belong.
Knock on wood.

Rudy

I agree with the rest of the guys about USPS. I always make certain that I request delivery confirmation and add a little extra when insuring the package. My theory is that if I over insure and they loose my package, they can pay me for my frustration. Of course, I wouldn't insure a $100 knife for $1,000, but maybe $150.

I use USPS Priority Mail and have never had a problem. Be warned that UPS will often deny a claim even on an insured package by saying that the packaging was insufficient. Bottom line is that if you don't pay them to package it for you then the insurance may not be worth anything.

Last edited:
I agree whit everyone ells I us USPS priority and never have had a problem.If you use there websit and print your own shipping label you get shipping a little cheaper. Doing on line also gets delivery confirmation for free. I do know about being nerves I worry until it get where its going. congrats on the sale ...Steve

Here are my calumniated shipping tips from 20+ years of shipping delicate small to large items via any carrier.

never use a logo'ed label or a recognizable company name use yours but make it J.S. Smith

hand right you sables

use new boxes only

remember most carriers require proper packing read their TOS IE most items have to have a minimum of 3" of cushioning all around the object.

pack the contents so they make no noise when violent dropped or shook animals play with noisy things it make them curious if it is silent they go on to the next

do not use to much tape IE seams and opening and maybe one supporting wrap

insure the item for full value and packing costs
signature confrontation always

USPS to Canada and England it save the receivers so much red tape and fees

never lie on a customs form use repetitive technical terms to describe the contents IE sporting goods, two wheel transportation components, wire spokes, hubs, rims, assembled racing wheel components. ( a set of wheels) believe it or not they are trained to understand this better then just putting down bicycle wheels for racing

if in doubt be friendly ask a silly question of the counter person preference with your inexperience and knowledge that the question my be silly

Thank you Gentlemen. This was a big help. I do remember that thread. I just could not find it. Thanks for all that posted. I will have pics on Monday.
James Clair, Archer Moon.

The spirit of this thread needs to be helpful in determining the methods used and ways to protect ourselves as shippers. It does no good to bash a Company because of a bad experience.
I personally use priority type, signature confirmation and try to make the box not look like a knife. My return address is a generic label.

regards,
Steve

If applicable (and most knives can fall under this description),
I'd label it as a Camping Knife.
The designation 'camping' offers a more benign connotation than simply 'knife'.
I usually ask the shipper to label my edged purchases as such,and over the years have only had a couple packages opened.

I did ship it by USPS today. I have the thing wrapped up very well. With any luck and a few dallors in insurance, it will be in Texas by Saturday.
Here goes the pics on a new thread. Thanks for the help.
James Clair, Archer Moon.

Back