First Knife

D

Dkforge

Been blacksmithing for a couple of years but never made a knife until now. Was doing a blacksmithing demo for Memorial Day and had some free time. Brought along an old Black Diamond file and decided to give it a try. Had some Birds Eye Maple sitting in the garage and thought that would make a nice handle with a piece of Wenge in the center.

Please take a look and let me know what you think. I appreciate you taking the time to give me some advice for things to do differently next time. Don't worry you won't hurt my feelings.

By the way...I am hooked on this knife thing and a lot of it has to do with the great discussions I have read on this site.
Thanks for looking.
Darryl

Attachments

• knife1.jpg
    knife1.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 106
  • knife2.jpg
    knife2.jpg
    96.6 KB · Views: 95
  • knife3.jpg
    knife3.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 78
Looks very nice. I like how you used the wenge to make a spacer.

For a first knife, it looks very very good. Excellent design and a solid execution. Future knives will be better, but you're off to a great start. Congratulations.

Looks really good for your first knife Darryl. When you shape your handle make sure both sides match up perfectly. You might want to flat grind your blade a little more before you you hollow grind . Your grind is good for the first time and the shape of the knife is good. It has a nice flow to it. Keep at it , you did good.

Kinda fun isn't it?

Larry

Thanks for the comments everybody.

Doug they are just some brass brazing rod cut into pins, just something I won in Iron in the Hat at one of our guild meetings.

Very Good 1st. forged knife, since you asked I would have to say to just practice your grinds, and handle shaping a bit; just like all newer and mid level makers would have to do, myself included.

other than that for a 1st knife I think you did great, definitely much better than my first attempt at making a knife free hand W a huge borrowed angle grinder fitted W a big flexible disc used for paint & body work attached to it . . . it was so ugly I was very ashamed of it once I started my training W a real knife maker!

Keep up the good work buddy! 2thumbs

Back