How should I do this ?

Keith Willis

I have not sold many knives,however I give a knife to a very good friend
of my dads,I did so hoping that he would purchase a few knives in the future.
I was able to meet him on Sat. He asked if I could make some for his family and friends.He told me what he wanted,and asked me to make 2 for his Grandchildren but he wants me to put there names on them,which is ok I can have Ernie G. make a stencil,however,he wants the name to be put on
the oppisite side,but he wants it exactly the same as my mark,he just wants their name placed where my name is.
This may not be big deal.Just kinda curious as to how you all would do it.

I would put the names where he wants them which was the place you would use, and place my name on the opposit side. Frank

I dont put other peoples names on my blades, but If it were me I would stipulate that it say something like this

custom made for
"name here"

or something similar so there is no doubt about who the maker is.

I just had the same question in another thread. If it is ok with the customer I will be putting thier names on the back side of the knife and my makers mark on the presentation side where I normally put it. If the customer wants thier name on the presentation side then that will be ok with me because my makers mark clearly states who made the knife.( If thats an issue). I would and will do what it takes to please the customer, But if poeple can't tell which is your makers mark then I would do as Rusty suggests and make sure poeple know it was made by you for said person.

Thanks to both you guys.
Frank,He did say that it did not matter which side that it was put on,
but I do think that would be the best.2thumbs

Rusty,that's how I am going to do it.2thumbs

Thanks again guys,

God bless,Keith

I've had a few people ask me to put their name on a knife I built,and/or customized for them,and while I do put a stylized wolf's paw-print on the spine
(incorporated with my file-work),I don't put my name on a blade that I didn't have a hand creating.
I always ask if they want their name on the Public or Private side of the knife.
Some want it proudly displayed,others want it for 'their eye's only'.
Once I start making my own blades 100%,I'll be kinda torn as to wanting my name presented: part of me wants to give the customer what they're payin' for,and part of me says "this is MY creation,and the world will know it".
...Don't all artists sign their work?

Last edited:
Here is my point of view after making knives for over 30 years. I find the pleasure in making the knife and then the appreciation someone will hopefully show. A purchase is a show of this. If you want one of my folders without my name on it that's okay with me. I do feel my work is "special" but the name on it doesn't make it better and I know placing my name on a poor piece of my work would do me more harm that not placing my name on a well made one. Enjoy your work, but don't think your name on it is going to make it better. Frank Niro

As a commercial artist and former tattoo artist, I know what it is like to not sign work you are very proud of. I think this is an area where having a portfolio or on-line gallery is very rewarding. I almost always specify that I retain the right to use my artwork for self-promotion. I would do the same with selling a knife whether my name is on it or not. If that were a deal breaker, I would charge quite a bit extra, in advance, to give up that right.

Many artists have a small symbol that they hide in all of their work.

I have sold only a handful of knives,and I guess it would only be
a personal thing,but I feel if my knife is worth selling it is worth
putting my name on it.I am guessing that if a customer requested
my name not be on the blade........well I guess I will cross that bridge
when I get there:D
What this customer is wanting,is for my name and mark to be
placed where I always put it,however He is requesting that the
same mark be placed on the other side,and replace my name
with the name of a grandchild.I a thinking what Rusty suggested
would be the answer.

Custom made for
Grandchild's name