Modern Technology Crutch or Wheelchair?

murphda2

Super Moderator and KD Blade Show Boss
I never thought I would be one of the guys to say this, but what the heck would we do if modern technology as we know it collapsed?

Don't get me wrong, if I woke up tomorrow morning and the nation's infrastructure had somehow failed, I believe I could survive. I wouldn't be happy about it, but I could survive. I've learned enough survival skills in my day that I could live.

The reason I bring this up, is that I was out and about today trying to find the parts that I need to complete my forge. I just need a few items (ball valve, regulator, and guage for my tank). I checked the closest hardware store to home (Lowe's) and they didn't have what I needed. When I pulled out my iPhone to do a quick search of local businesses that might be able to help me, I received a "Could Not Activate Cellular Data Network" error. This kind of bothered me. I called AT&T to see if there were issues in the area and they assured me that the only known issues were in Louisianna and Alabama. Not being satisfied with thier answer, i stopped by the local AT&T store to inquire. Sure enough, some dummy somewhere cut a data line that has now shut down all cellular data service for the states of Louisianna, Mississippi, Alabama, and Florida.

I'm not sure which irritated me the most, the fact that I couldn't access the internet with my phone or the fact that I quickly realized how dependant I had allowed myself to become on the features of my cell phone. Most of us refer to our cell phones as convenience items. Some refer to them as crutches. I'm beginning to think I've become so dang dependant on its features that it is more like a wheelchair.

OK, I'm finished venting now. I'm just irritated that I didn't get to pick up the items I needed to get my forge running today. There is a storm coming through and the temperature has dropped to more comfortable temperature to fire up the forge and I'm sitting on my pc instead. By the time I got home to look up the information for the suppliers, it was too late to drive to the stores before they close until Monday. I guess I'll be putting this off for a few more days.

I will be getting the new iphone 4 because of the convenience. I think if it's a crutch or not is determined by the user. I use my phone for stuff if it doesn't work I move on. I don't let it bug me.

On the topic of survival: I have often thought of this as many have. However I look at it from a geographical standpoint. I live in the desert. Water is a big issue here and I work as a field operations manager for a water district. I wonder what would go down in an infrastructure failure? Would people rush my water tanks trying to steal water? Hope I never find out :unsure:

:bud:

Murph
I can remember when I had to hang around the home phone,5:30 to 7:30 am, and 5:30 to 8:00 pm to conduct any business. Now any body can get me any time of day for any thing no matter how small the matter. I do miss the quiet, but I don't miss not being able to call one of my boys for some help when I need it.
Chad

If I'm reading through the Knifedogs forum, I figure there's about an 80% chance I'm doing it from my iPhone. If I'm posting to the Knifedogs forum, there's about an 80% I'm doing from my PC. It's real easy to browse the net on the iPhone, but it can be a real pain in the south end to post anything lengthy.

I like my peace and quiet when I am in the shop, never installed a phone. When I started having heart trouble the doc said I needed a cell phone in case of an emergency. Sure enough I had a heart attack, pulled a motorcycle on top of me and was trapped. I was able to reach my cell phone and get help. Hate to think what would have happened if the phone service was out.

Yes, modern conveniences are great but they are definitely making us soft and dependent. I used to teach a survival course when I was younger and able, you would be surprised how many people tried to take their cell phones on the course. I often wonder, where would we be if we didn't have all this tech stuff.

Larry

Back