Types of Switchblade Knives

S

Sinza

A little something I made for my forum the other day.
switchblades.jpg

This should give the new guys a idea on how many different types there are. These are just a few, many different types I'm still missing.

Enjoy

Nice collection, I've always been partial to "Hubertus" leverlock switchblades, and Microtechs for the more modern look.

Sinza, great start! Now that you have named them and posted pictures, can you describe the action, lock system, and set up on each of them so we can truly be edumacated? Thanks! Don't forget the "assisted openers" with torsion bars!

Nice collection, I've always been partial to "Hubertus" leverlock switchblades, and Microtechs for the more modern look.

Hubertus quality is legendary but like many legends Hubertus quality and customer service have slipped considerably. The quality of modern Hubertus knives is not much better that Italian switchblades but they are considerable more expensive. The difference in price is not justified by the quality of the Hubertus knives we've purchased in the past several years. There are good ones and bad ones but we've purchased hundreds and hundreds of them and a good number of them are junk. It has also been our experience that they don't give a dam about quality control, customer service or the promisses they make. This is my opinion based on my personal experience with Beate and Henning Ritter of Hubertus. Buy a Protech if you want a good automatic knife from a company that takes quality control and customer service seriously. European craftsmanship should be changed to you're a peon crap to ship.

For me collecting was about getting different mechanical types, if it had a dark horn handle so much the better. Once I got the standard stiletto and basic OTF I wanted more.
Had to have a gravity stiletto, looked for years for a trapdoor stiletto, paid a grand for a AK47, the single action OTF was a pain to find....
Display6.jpg

Now I pretty much have what I want, just a few more items to check off the list.
And I'm sure you'll all cringe, but I've taken every one of these apart at least once just to learn how it works, another reason I bought them. There just wasn't a 'how to build switchblades' book out there, so I had to buy them all.
And now that I have all these switchblade-autopsy photos, design schematics. and cool prototypes I seen to work so much I have little time for what I want to do...make knives. I hate having a real job and working overtime, just dosen't leave much time or energy for being creative. Working nights and living jetlag everyday dosen't help..I hate being scatterbrained so much.

Some day I'll get my act together. I have some pretty nice prototypes; gravity knives, AK47s, single action stilettos, those three are the top left three knives in the picture above. I just struggle with taking it all to the next step. I get stuck at that 90% ...that last 10% I struggle with. Bill DeShivs knows, he's held my gravity knives. They would be great if I really knew what I was doing....and did more

Truth is I'm just not good enough yet.:unsure:

I'm sure by this point people think I'm just a hack as I've been 'trying' for years and just spinning my wheels.
I have great designs and well made prototypes. I hope someday you guys can hold one of them.

...I'll get there someday.

Current project I'm working on here and there...
waterjetppartsAK1-1.jpg

Waterjet cut parts to make more of this handmade AK style automatic.
zzzmedaillion.jpg

The handmade one works great, really nice snap. I hope I can make a small production run sometime this year.
Funny how I built this in a couple weeks but making more is taking so much longer. Just have to work out a couple bugs on the digital design.

Hubertus quality is legendary but like many legends Hubertus quality and customer service have slipped considerably. The quality of modern Hubertus knives is not much better that Italian switchblades but they are considerable more expensive. The difference in price is not justified by the quality of the Hubertus knives we've purchased in the past several years. There are good ones and bad ones but we've purchased hundreds and hundreds of them and a good number of them are junk. It has also been our experience that they don't give a dam about quality control, customer service or the promisses they make. This is my opinion based on my personal experience with Beate and Henning Ritter of Hubertus. Buy a Protech if you want a good automatic knife from a company that takes quality control and customer service seriously. European craftsmanship should be changed to you're a peon crap to ship.

Haven't bought any new Hubertus' in years. The two I own were purchased back in the late 80's, and they are fine crafted knives. Appreciate the tip on the newer stuff.

For me collecting was about getting different mechanical types, if it had a dark horn handle so much the better. Once I got the standard stiletto and basic OTF I wanted more.
Had to have a gravity stiletto, looked for years for a trapdoor stiletto, paid a grand for a AK47, the single action OTF was a pain to find....
Display6.jpg

Now I pretty much have what I want, just a few more items to check off the list.
And I'm sure you'll all cringe, but I've taken every one of these apart at least once just to learn how it works, another reason I bought them. There just wasn't a 'how to build switchblades' book out there, so I had to buy them all.
And now that I have all these switchblade-autopsy photos, design schematics. and cool prototypes I seen to work so much I have little time for what I want to do...make knives. I hate having a real job and working overtime, just dosen't leave much time or energy for being creative. Working nights and living jetlag everyday dosen't help..I hate being scatterbrained so much.

Some day I'll get my act together. I have some pretty nice prototypes; gravity knives, AK47s, single action stilettos, those three are the top left three knives in the picture above. I just struggle with taking it all to the next step. I get stuck at that 90% ...that last 10% I struggle with. Bill DeShivs knows, he's held my gravity knives. They would be great if I really knew what I was doing....and did more

Truth is I'm just not good enough yet.:unsure:

I'm sure by this point people think I'm just a hack as I've been 'trying' for years and just spinning my wheels.
I have great designs and well made prototypes. I hope someday you guys can hold one of them.

...I'll get there someday.

Current project I'm working on here and there...
waterjetppartsAK1-1.jpg

Waterjet cut parts to make more of this handmade AK style automatic.
zzzmedaillion.jpg

The handmade one works great, really nice snap. I hope I can make a small production run sometime this year.
Funny how I built this in a couple weeks but making more is taking so much longer. Just have to work out a couple bugs on the digital design.

Very nice collection...

Great collection.
I have the boker on the top secured row the eigth from the right.
Nice to know it is an appreciated bit of kit.
Thank you for showing your knives

Case XX

I myself, am partial to the Case XX leveractions, but they are sooo expensive. Italian swinguards are my fav!

Back