VFD and motor help

rreidiii

I am getting ready to assemble either a NWG or on of those from Polar bear forge, Anyway I need some help finding a variable speed setup for one of these devices. I will be having 220V brought into the garage if necessary so where do I go from here? I cannot say that money is no object but I am willing to pay more now for something that will last and is good quality.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.

You will need a 2 hp, 3,600 rpm, 3 phase motor and a VFD controller. I can sell you a motor and will be looking into carrying VFDs soon. PM me if you want to discuss motors or grinders. If you do a NWG I would suggest that you use the step pulley set up. I can supply the motor you need or can sell you a "Moe's Grinder" kit which contains everything to assemble the grinder for $900.00 plus shipping or a completed grinder for $1,300.00 plus shipping. "Moe's Grinder is based on the NWG plans. Moe's is welded and has several other modifications. If you were at the Blade Show the grinder that was on display at the "Dog Pound" is my "Moe's Grinder". I also do workshops where we build "Moe's Grinders".

I spoke to you and your're hell of a nice guy(in fact all three of you'll who are fabricating these grinders are all stand up guys), I was seriously contimplating doing your grinder. I went to my first knife show last weekend and entered into a raffle $20 for something like 4 tix anyway I won(for the first time in my life) and they had a preassembled Polar Bear Forge setup which I liked but for $20 I really like it now. So that is what it will be used for can you either email me rreidiii@cox.net or respond to me in this thread. If you currently have the motor I could possibly buy it now and when you get the VFD units I take one then. I wouldn't be spending as much all at one time and could fly under the radar with my wife...although she does all the money stuff.

Last edited:
Robert, I got your e-mail and replied. The problem with getting the 3 phase motor now and the vfd later is that unless you have 3 phase power you will have to have a phase controller or a vfd (which is a type of phase controller) before you can run it.
Congratulations on the Polar Bear. It is made to be a direct drive and appears to be a good set up. You could probably set it up to operate on step pulleys and then use a single phase motor and have the adjustable speeds. A 2 hp single phase 1800 rpm motor is $145.00 plus shipping and insurance and a 2 hp single phase 1800 rpm is $190.50.

Back