Knife #10 Finished - First Kitchen Knife

Erin Burke

{Cross-posted w/ BF}

I finished Knife #10 last week and shot some photos this afternoon. This is my first attempt at a kitchen knife, and is a gift for my wife (our 9-year anniversary is this month). At first, it took me awhile to warm-up to the idea of making a kitchen knife... but I think I'm hooked now.

Some Stats:
Length: 11-3/8"
Blade: 5-1/4" (tip to choil?)
Steel: Differentially heat-treated 1/8" 1080 (from Kelly Cupples) Flat-Ground w/ hidden-tang
Handle: WSSI Stabilized Dalium Cochin Burl
Guard/Ferrule?: Small piece of wrought-iron (or so my grandpa tells me)
Butt-cap: 416ss

4677442174_752c714d3c_b.jpg

4677442358_ea26e38021_b.jpg

What do you think?

Erin

Thanks guys. I officially presented it to my wife yesterday - after the photos - and had to give her a primer in how to care for a non-stainless kitchen knife.

Last edited:
Nice job Erin that is one very beautiful knife. What's to warm up to with the kitchen knives? They get used more that any others.

Pat

What's to warm up to with the kitchen knives? They get used more that any others.

Pat

They're just not as glamorous as fighters, bowies and such. huh1:p It's not always how they end up being used in reality... but how they spark my imagination. However, this one ended up so nice, I really want to make a few more (maybe for my mom, grandma, mother-in-law...). First though, I have one or two charity/auction knives in mind to benefit a couple of kids. Maybe a balisong too. Seems I have more plans than I have spare time. :D

Nice work Erin. Looks like a handy kitchen user. One down, 9 more to go for a set of 10?

:eek: Now THAT is a frightening idea. I'm all out of Dalium Cochin burl anyway. ;) Now I DO have some small pieces of Thuya burl that could find their way on to this type of knife.

Last edited:
Congratulations of celebrating the 9th. Now to the knife, I say well done. But, it is what Mama says that counts. I would bet she will love it and now want a set.
Jim

Looks like a lightweight, handy, efficient cutting tool to me 2thumbs.

You chose great steel, gorgeous wood, and put a little extra craftsmanship in the lightly-chamfered rear bolsters... I like it!

"Not as glamourous", my behind... that knife is pretty, functional and will earn its keep for decades. That's all the "glamour" I care about. I'm just getting really interested in high-end kitchen knives myself, and I think they're every bit as much fun to design and build as combat blades, hunters, and so forth.

Keep up the good work! No matter what kind of knife you feel like making.

I think she's going to love it. You keep treating her like that and I bet you'll hit you're 18th anniversary with no problem. :)

On a serious note, I like this one. Very usable blade shape and handle for the kitchen with some nice flare in the handle. Definitely one to be proud of, whether maker or owner.

Charlie

Looks great to me. Man, this is the second thread I've came across this morning that I had some how missed when they were posted. I need to step up my game and get caught up.

Keep up the good work. Like Bruce said, "One down, 9 more to go for a set of 10?"

Back