Radiation

arrow-360

Here is the story!
I loaded my pickup with scrap aluminum and took it to the scrap yard. I drove on the scale, unloaded, and drove on the scale again. When I went inside, I was asked if I was undergoing radiation treatment because I set off the radiation sensor, "both times I drove on the scale". I can't figure out why! My wife and I have never had any radiation treatment. Don't work around it that I know of. My Dodge Rampage isn't nuclear powered. Spider man was bitten by a radio active spider, but I can't crawl any walls, so that can't be it........ It was a low level reading.
Anyone have any ideas? It has me scratching my head!
Dave

all i can say....is if it were me.... I'd be getting a meter to figure out what it is that is emitting radiation... and fast !!!!!!

just be very careful...

even get some potassium iodine and take some of that..incase this is enough to hit your thyroid...

did they say to what level of radiation..???

sorry to hear it
Greg

Were they able to ID the type of radiation and the levels ? Was it only on you, your clothes or truck.

Have your home checked for Radon gas. You can get sensors fairly cheap.

Jim

all i can say....is if it were me.... I'd be getting a meter to figure out what it is that is emitting radiation... and fast !!!!!!

just be very careful...

even get some potassium iodine and take some of that..incase this is enough to hit your thyroid...

did they say to what level of radiation..???

sorry to hear it
Greg

All they said is it is low level

Did any of the aluminum come from somewhere that used radiation like a lab or hospital that gives radiation treatments?

Did any of the aluminum come from somewhere that used radiation like a lab or hospital that gives radiation treatments?

Nope!
I am on vacation for the next two weeks, but will go talk with my workplace Monday. I don't see anything there, but who knows!

1. Have you and Mrs. checked before you go on vacation. Exam should be area specific; feet, hair, arms, etc. outside of the house.
2. Have truck checked. Area specific: body, tires, interior.
3. Put up radon sensors, close up house while gone.

Repeat when you come back, before you enter the house.

You can rent a meter for a month quite easily. Try and get the one that can download to your computer.

While you are gone have someone that is clear go around the house, drive way, any external storage and check levels.

How about my cell phone. Could it put out enough radiation? It's a Samsung and I don't see a model number.
Dave

I've never heard of cell phones discharging enough to set off a rad sniffer...
have you walked by any glowing rocks half-buried in a smoking crater in the deep woods in a lately?huh1:eek:
I hope it's nothing more than the load you took in!

How about my cell phone. Could it put out enough radiation? It's a Samsung and I don't see a model number.
Dave

There is a big difference between being irradiated and being contaminated. When you go to the dentist and get an x-ray you are not radioactive. You need to find the source of your "contamination".

I've never heard of cell phones discharging enough to set off a rad sniffer...
have you walked by any glowing rocks half-buried in a smoking crater in the deep woods in a lately?huh1:eek:
I hope it's nothing more than the load you took in!

No, but my wife has a nice glow about her!:eek:

There is a big difference between being irradiated and being contaminated. When you go to the dentist and get an x-ray you are not radioactive. You need to find the source of your "contamination".

Just ordered a radon test kit. That's about all I can do today. Tomorrow I can go back to scrapyard, and find out if it is my truck, wife, or me. Than I can go from there. The cans were in garbage bags in the basement for a quite a while.

The most common source that trips radiation monitors in scrap metal yards comes from hot water heaters from houses that use well water. Sometimes wells are established in aquifers that have NORM (naturally occurring radioactive material) rich water. Usually it comes from degrading granite that is rich in radium and/or uranium. As the water is pumped into the heater small bits of contaminated sand/rock accumulate and become a source sufficiently strong to be detected by the monitors.

Other possible sources are chunks of un-degraded granite, contaminated research or medical materials, construction density gauges, radiation check sources, thorium coated lens from bomb sites, old Coleman lantern mantle, old yellow and orange Fiesta dishware, Kaolin mine filters, and a bunch of other things. The scrap yard should have determined what materials were responsible for the alert. You really should find out what caused this and make sure that it's not something that could cause long term exposure.

The radon problem in Pennsylvania was caused by someone with high levels of radon in his home. The attached radon daughter products in his hair were high enough to trip monitors in the nuclear power plant where he worked. I encourage you to contact your local health department or State Environmental Agency. It may be nothing; but, it might be more. If the people at the scrap yard said it was low level without investigating they did not know what they were talking about. It may have been partially shielded.

Send me a PM if you would like to discuss this. I'm a Health Physicist and knowledgeable on the topic.

The most common source that trips radiation monitors in scrap metal yards comes from hot water heaters from houses that use well water. Sometimes wells are established in aquifers that have NORM (naturally occurring radioactive material) rich water. Usually it comes from degrading granite that is rich in radium and/or uranium. As the water is pumped into the heater small bits of contaminated sand/rock accumulate and become a source sufficiently strong to be detected by the monitors.

Other possible sources are chunks of un-degraded granite, contaminated research or medical materials, construction density gauges, radiation check sources, thorium coated lens from bomb sites, old Coleman lantern mantle, old yellow and orange Fiesta dishware, Kaolin mine filters, and a bunch of other things. The scrap yard should have determined what materials were responsible for the alert. You really should find out what caused this and make sure that it's not something that could cause long term exposure.

The radon problem in Pennsylvania was caused by someone with high levels of radon in his home. The attached radon daughter products in his hair were high enough to trip monitors in the nuclear power plant where he worked. I encourage you to contact your local health department or State Environmental Agency. It may be nothing; but, it might be more. If the people at the scrap yard said it was low level without investigating they did not know what they were talking about. It may have been partially shielded.

Send me a PM if you would like to discuss this. I'm a Health Physicist and knowledgeable on the topic.

Just the one I'm looking for! PM sent.

FALSE ALARM!:D
Called scrap yard, and was told everyone was setting off the radiation sensor. Had to do with heavy rains that morning. Sure set my mind at peace!
Thanks for your concern.
Dave

uh...waitaminute...RAIN sets off the radiation meter?!?! I'm never going outside again!

There are actualy alot of thing that emit low levels of radiation that are around us every day. Watches/clocks, the older colman lantern mantels had a bit, some fertilizers and even some home appliances, Smoke detectors, some glass and ceramic materials contain a small amount as well, some wepon optics and open sights use trace amounts, There are a few others but really nothing to worry about unless you eat them. some old paints have a bit as well.

Last edited:
Glad it was a false alarm buddy.

...oh,and just so I know where not to go for leisurely strolls in the rain,
where do you live now?:eek:

Back