What do you do for a living

Ernie Swanson

SASSY PINK LUUNCHBOX KNIFE MAKER
I cant seem to remember if this has bean done or not................

What do you do for a living other than make knives?

If you are a full time maker heck post up!!

I am a welder/fabricator, I work for a company that builds store fixtures for companies like Gap, Verizon Wireless, Target, and sorts.

I am also a part time knifemaker, I just started out but I am working my hardest at it. I am totally in love with Knife making!!:D

I am a programmer for a company called Micro Forté.. we make computer games. We also sell our technology to other companies it is called BigWorld technology. It is for massively multi-player online games.

I also make knives in my spare time. Preferably slipjoint folders, but my tastes might change as I try more styles out. I did quite enjoy making the liner lock for the charity build off.

Alistair

I work in the oil and natrual gas fields. I really like my job, dont think I could stand to sit at a desk all day.

Good thread Ern, interesting to see what everyone does.

Sean

I'll play!

Full-time owner/operator Apex BioClean Crime Scene Cleanup:

www.apexbioclean.com and www.methdecon.com

Part-time Registered Nurse in a Trauma/Surgical ICU (gotta keep those licenses current!).

Part-time Tactical Medicine instructor for www.komondorprotection.com private security as a Nationally Registered Paramedic. They even give me a rifle. Scary...;)

...and I get to make a few knives now and then.

BC

I am unemployed (still) and am trying to find work. I used to be an engineering manager for a large Telecom company.

Can't find much for work now days. I do welding, fabrication and farm equipment repair from my shop at home and am working on getting more jobs this way. Not much out there.

I am also getting back into knives after a 4.5 year break. Hope to make and sell knives as well as damascus billets.

Bad time to not have a job or other income, nothing out there to fill the gaps with.

Have taught a couple knife making classes and want to hold a forge building class where everyone leaves with a forge at the end of the day. I can handle about six people making forges all at once. Just have to find interested people.

Currently have a guy interested in building a copy of the in-line treadle hammer I built to create the CD with. Wants to do it in my shop, works for me.

I was a fabricator/welder for a company that services the mining community. We make and service everything for the surface part of mining. I'm currently on a layoff till the coal companies start getting more permits. I hope to be going to college this fall and am a part time knife maker.

I'm a programmer for ITA Software. We invented low fare air search and are now trying to finish the first new airline reservation and departure control system since the very early 1970's.

Been programming computers for over 40 years now. Making knives is more fun...

I am a Depuy Sheriff and have been for 13 years.
I am also a Knife maker and Pen Turner. I will also be teaching Knife making at WoodCraft.

I am a Field Technology Officer for US Customs and Border Protection. I fix radio equipment on mountain tops throughout Southern California and Western Nevada.

systems administrator...

which covers many sins but basically I do help desk, Cisco networking, Windows Server admin. Also a little bit of programming, mostly SQL and Lotus Notes development

I am a full-time farrier been so for just over 10 years now. Also own a farm where we raise horses, cattle and hay about 50 acres 10 of our own.

I got into knife making when I was laid up from a accident shoeing a horse a couple years ago, so I do it sort of part time.

Course Developer. Mainly I write training documentation , create training courses for classroom as well as develop and facilitate online learning courses.

I am pretty much on a PC all the time , except for when I am not in the shop , at the gun range , archery range or going to/from one of my 3 sons functions.

Very cool to see what everyone does.

I'm a salesman for a shooting sports wholesaler. For the most part I sit at a desk and talk to gun shop owners all day. Right now business is slow with the economy and it being summer and all. Man was last year crazy.

Charlie

i'm a boss at a coal prep plant and also a combat engineer with the KY army national guard.

I am a custom interior finish carpenter. Mainly Muti-million $ homes and bistros, spiral stairs, wine lockers/coolers/racks.
In home theater preps am one of five US installers of the open air radius glass sliding doors and everything else those crazy people can invent to make their house "one of a kind"
Most are crazy or spoiled rotten and a pain in the backside
but I love the work.
Ten mos. to go then I retire to knifemaking.
Jerry

It is real interesting to see what everyone does for a living. It gives a better insight to who you are other than a knifemaker.

I am retired/disabled now. Was basically an Entrepreneur and what ever else I could find to keep me busy and out of trouble. I would start up a small business, work it for 2 or 3 years then find a talented deserving person, make him a partner and when he was ready sell my half to him.

The last 20 years I lived on a small farm and had a blacksmith shop at the farm. I also had a custom motorcycle shop which I am slowly converting into a knife shop.

I have been making knives off and on since I was a kid making mostly period weaponry.

Larry

Biologist for the Idaho Army National Guard for the last 21 years working on the Orchard Training Area in the Snake River Birds of Prey National Conservation Area.

Back