Anyone used concrete sawblades for knives?

Ironwolf

The Knife Poet
I have a life-time supply of large (2'-4') circular,concrete cutting sawblades,
and am going to see if I can get the steel specs from the manufacturer so as to get the heat-treat dialed in.
Anyone else use this steel with good,consistent results?

If your talking about the large circular concrete blades, with diamond tipped teeth, they won't make a decent knife blade. A few years ago I had a local construction outfit who wanted to bring me several, and have me build knives for them out of the used blades......I had it tested and the results came back as 4140 and/or 4340, depending on the manufacturing company.

4140 and 4340 are great for impact type applications like hammers and such, but the .40% carbon content limits the hardenability to the point that a thin cross section (such as a knife blade) is too soft.

Thank you Ed,
I've read a few different takes in knives made with these kinds of blades,
and some folks have said there are blades like these made of 5160,and even L6.
And,a couple guys have said that with the right heat-treat,4140 and 4340
can make a reasonably servicable knife,but finding the right quench,and h.t. is hit or miss.
I figured if I got lucky,and the steel IS 5160 or L6 (or something close),
then there's a lot of steel that can be reclaimed!
Well,as soon as I can get a hold of the supplier or manufacturer of those blades...(fingers crossed) :D

I've been using concrete cutting saw blades for about 10-12 years. I chose it over stainless because I get the blades free and I like the steel better. I use it for short machetes of my own design and other smaller utility and skinning knives. I differentially heat treat the blades and have probably made over 300 - 400 knives without ever having a returned knife or a failed blade. I differentially heat treat with a torch and quench in water. I posted some pictures of a few knives I made in my album (If I got it right) if you care to look at them.

If you forge and have the space then get them. I never turn down metal. You can trade them off, make all kinds of stuff where heat treatment is not critical.

Concrete sawblades for knives

I've been using concrete cutting saw blades for about 10 - 12 years. I think, properly heat treated, it is one of the best knife steels I've used. I prefer it over stainless and have made knives ranging in size from machetes to small skinners. Never had a problem or a knife returned. I've attached a sample of some of the knives I have made using the saw blades. Sorry if they attached weird, new to the forum. One of the added benefits of this steel is the hamon I get with the heat treat. The hamon and temper lines on these knives are pretty much what I get all the time, with the exception of the blade, which showed a very unusual, but beautiful pattern. DSCN1047.jpg000_0730.jpgDSCN1088.jpg000_0710.jpg

Back