Idea for a new sub-forum

Fletch Helical

This was something that I was just thinking about coming out of my shop. We all know everyone loves WIP threads. The only "problem" is that to do WIP's it requires people to make sure they take pics and keep a bit of a time line so to speak of various steps. And some people either forget or whatever so what about this.... A section for member journals.

Basically it would be something where makers can basically just blurt out about whatever is going on or went on in their shop, what they're working on, what they have lined up, etc. It kind of gives people an opportunity to talk about...whatever. Vent about trashing a blade they were working on, brag about something they did, throw up random pics of a knife or knives they're doing, and so on. It can also give other members an opportunity to maybe see what a day in the life of whatever degree of skill a maker has from anywhere from a total noob to a master smith. People who are interested in what's going on will obviously chime in with questions, thoughts, or just point and laugh at the bad days :D.

What do you guys think? Obviously it would require the word from the big dog but maybe if there's enough interest it might fly??

This was something that I was just thinking about coming out of my shop. We all know everyone loves WIP threads. The only "problem" is that to do WIP's it requires people to make sure they take pics and keep a bit of a time line so to speak of various steps. And some people either forget or whatever so what about this.... A section for member journals.

Basically it would be something where makers can basically just blurt out about whatever is going on or went on in their shop, what they're working on, what they have lined up, etc. It kind of gives people an opportunity to talk about...whatever. Vent about trashing a blade they were working on, brag about something they did, throw up random pics of a knife or knives they're doing, and so on. It can also give other members an opportunity to maybe see what a day in the life of whatever degree of skill a maker has from anywhere from a total noob to a master smith. People who are interested in what's going on will obviously chime in with questions, thoughts, or just point and laugh at the bad days :D.

What do you guys think? Obviously it would require the word from the big dog but maybe if there's enough interest it might fly??

I think its called facebook.

I apologize if it looked like I was being a smart so and so. It wasn't my intention. Lots of folks use facebook for stuff exactly like what you described. Some like letting their hair down a little and not worrying about our G rating.

Its free, buddy, check it out.

I apologize if it looked like I was being a smart so and so. It wasn't my intention. Lots of folks use facebook for stuff exactly like what you described. Some like letting their hair down a little and not worrying about our G rating.

Its free, buddy, check it out.

Oh I know what it is... I just refuse to make an account. I thought Twitter was for saying describing everything you're doing at a given moment? ;)

Whatever if everyone uses facebook then we can squash this idea. Just a thought.

i kind of like the idea, i have a facebook account but everybody keeps talking about them going to start charging $4.95 a month so my account will be closed and besides not everyone on here has a facebook account. i think this is a great idea for a new forum.. how about it boss can we?

I personally thing that it would fill up with nonsence fast, And thats just wasting space.

If you want to do a wip or talk about what you are doing post it in the general forum or the knife makers forum.

Or of course you can buy your own knife makers forum and talk about what ever you want:D

i have a facebook account but everybody keeps talking about them going to start charging $4.95 a month

I really doubt that they will start charging for their regular accounts. There have been rumors like that ever since I joined facebook. But, it never happens and it doesn't make sense as I think most users would just drop their accounts.

I really doubt that they will start charging for their regular accounts. There have been rumors like that ever since I joined facebook. But, it never happens and it doesn't make sense as I think most users would just drop their accounts.

With all the privacy issues that have gone on with them lately there have been a lot of people who have already closed their accounts.

If you want to do a wip or talk about what you are doing post it in the general forum or the knife makers forum.

Or of course you can buy your own knife makers forum and talk about what ever you want:D

See here's where there is a difference. Having a journal section can give readers a bit of a look into the "day in the life" so to speak of a makers shop.... Assuming he decides to talk about what he did that day. But having a journal can also be a great way for makers to look back at what they've done over a year or whatever and can also give an idea of how far someone has progressed. Think about it like this, not everyone remembers about how you started your first knife by clamping the blade to your deck and filing away... Had you did all of that in your journal and gone up to where you are at now, a new maker might read your journal and say "Wow look at what this guy did from then until now". Some of us know because of your posts but also a year or two down the road you can look back through it and you have your own timeline..... Complete with the ups and downs and input from other people and can basically see how you've grown as a maker. Let's say you're getting started on a new knife. That's not really worth starting a new thread in the discussion forum.... But anyone who might be following your journal and likes your work may be interested in asking some questions about it, or maybe you want to just throw up a quick pic of it. Then not take another till it's done, you're not doing a WIP but you have showed a stage or 2 or 3, etc. And it's all in one place to look through.

I mean a journal is just that, a spot where you can record your own thoughts about a particular day, project, etc. And a year or two or 5 later you can go back and read through all that history and people can also learn from what other makers have done or are doing. Granted some one can say "I lived through it I know what I did" But there are times when something has happened to everyone where you probably don't remember exactly what happened or what your frame of mind was. So you can look back a lot easier. Kind of like looking at old photographs and you say to yourself "Wow did I really used to look like that" or "Wow I totally forgot about that time when...."

I think you are referring to TWITTER, you "tweet" your random thoughts and no one can reply directly.

I, personally am not interested.
IMHO this site was created for a more one on one relationship that all could share and learn from.

Steve

I think you are referring to TWITTER, you "tweet" your random thoughts and no one can reply directly.

I, personally am not interested.
IMHO this site was created for a more one on one relationship that all could share and learn from.

Steve

I have to agree with Steve.I dont facebook or ''Tweet'' and I really like the site the way it is.
If it is something you are set on doing,Ernie's idea seams like a good one.

God bless,Keith

I'm not talking about twitter, or facebook or any other kind of social networking whatever.

I'm talking about a journal, girls call it a diary :D, Star Trek called it "Captain's Log".... It wouldn't be a spot where no one can reply. It would be an ongoing designated thread about whatever may be going on with a particular a maker... "So and so's journey to become a master smith, Joe Schmoe's adventures as a new knife maker, etc"

Someone can decide to start one or not. People can follow along with it or not, you can opt to read that sub forum or not. But I would think if a well known maker wanted to talk about what he did or is working on, some people might be interested. Or if there is an up and coming maker that does very good work, people may be interested in following his progress. I think a journal section would allow everyone to learn from everyone because it gives an opportunity for people to respond to someones thoughts about what they're working on and maybe get new ideas from makers they might not ever have. Someone may say something in their journal that they might never have started a thread about and the next thing you know, someone jumps in with a thought or idea that helps out tremendously. And maybe not only to the person who's journal it is, but maybe it helps out a few lurkers who read along just to see what a person might be doing.

Anyway that's my thoughts on it. If it turns out to be as popular as the dollar coin than so be it. I just thought I'd put it out there.

Fletch,

You want a blog (short for web log). It is exactly what you describe. You can get one free at wordpress.com or blogspot.com as well as other places. Then just put your link in your signature, on your member profile, your web page, or wherever you would like.

They are a pain to keep up and keep up with, but lots of folks use them and visit them daily. Your blog followers can also subscribe and be notified of any updates. You can also put links for whatever you'd like, including other makers' blogs on it.

I have a friend who lost two hundred pounds four years ago and now makes a good living running a weight loss blog, so they can be profitable as well as informative. Any maker with the interest could start one. You can also make web sites with WordPress.

BTW, facebook says they do not plan to EVER charge a fee.

Last edited:
Back