To Be A Kid Again

murphda2

Super Moderator and KD Blade Show Boss
It often amazes me how many people make the comment, "What I wouldn't give to be a kid again," or the kids that make the comment, "I can't wait to grow up".

I was taken back to the stupidity of youth for a brief time this evening. You all know what I'm talking about. You remember those times when you or one of your buddies tried to do something because you thought it would be cool, and then ended up in the hospital? Well, such an occassion happened this evening in my neighborhood. Unfortunately, I didn't have the opportunity to stop it, only to help recovery efforts so to say.

I went to the kitchen to start dinner and then walked into the living room to check what was on tv. When I stepped back into the kitchen I looked out the window where I could see a kid laying in the street. I threw on a shirt and ran out to see what had happened as the crowd began to gather. As it turns out, the kid had decided to jump on the side of his buddy's SUV when he stopped at the stop sign down the road. As they drove down the road he decided to jump off while passing in front of my apartment.

When I got there it was apparent that he had a compound fracture to his left leg just above the ankle. Secondly, I noticed the golfball sized knot on his forehead. After talking to him and checking his vitals I determined he was stable in mind if not body. I have to hand it to this kid, he's tough! He is 13 yrs old and has a bone sticking out of his leg and didn't shed a tear.

As I held the kid's ankle steady while waiting for the ambulance another gentleman stopped to help. We both knew we need to splint the ankle but had nothing readily available. When the guy asked if there was any carboard lying around that we could use, I remembered the stack of USPS boxes which had been delivered to me a few months ago and were still sitting outside of my front door (I ordered one pkg of boxes in each size and they delivered 5 of each). He ran and grabbed a couple of boxes and we quickly learned that LRG USPS boxes make great splints. You can fold them along the crease and into a three sided splint with ease. By the time the paramedics arrived, all we needed was some padding material and tape to hold it all together.

I remember when I was a kid thinking how cool those Spec Ops guys in movies looked when they jumped off of the side of a vehicle going down the road. Luckily, it was one of the few things I never tried thus was never injured attempting. Unfortunately, this 13 yr old did and taught me the lesson. I pray that he will make a speedy recovery.

Though the years seem to start passing by quicker and quicker as each passes, I look back and remember all of the stupid things I have done, the lives that have changed mine, the lives that I have hopefully changed, and the lessons learned. Time may be passing more quickly these days, but I wouldn't go back and have to repeat the mistakes over again. I'll just stay where I'm at and let time continue to pass.

Good to know someone was there to help him out.Very scary thing to see a child
injured.Sounds as though he will be ok.Maybe he has learned something that will
stay with him for a lifetime.
Life is short,things happen very fast.
Was this it Hattisburg,or Arkansas ?

God bless,Keith

Back