COULD ONLY HAPPEN TO ME

Keith Willis

Ok,so some of you seen the slabs that I had made up for Mr Steve Janik's knife.I posted them with the question I had about hidden pins.For most knifemakers,these slabs would have been fairly simple,but for me,they
were a real challange.
I was taking my daughter to her softball game last night,and thought I would bring the slabs and show them to someone that may be interested in a knife purchase.Well,when I got in the car I set the slabs on the dash of my wife's Trailblazer(not smart),drove all the way to town and when making my stop to
turn into the ballpark both slabs slid to the front of the dash,and one went right down into the defroster vent:eek:
I can't see it,and I don't see any way to get it out without taking a lot of
stuff apart,so I'm thinking new scales:bud: Guess I'll go get started.

God bless,Keith

I had a garage door opener slide across the whole dash and right out the car window. This was on an off ramp of the freeway in Milwaukee. Stuff happens to all of us.

Pat

Ah yes,mama said that there would be days like this..........

She just didn't tell me they would come in bunches.

God bless,Keith:D

Ah yes,mama said that there would be days like this..........

She just didn't tell me they would come in bunches.

It makes sitting on the porch with an old dog that much more appealing! Nobody ever hears me complain about being bored! I'm either busy or enjoying doing nothing.

that sucks man!! Silver lining: you get to practice making them again!!

Well, gol-dangit! That would make me cuss like... well, like I can't cuss on here or in front of my kid :D Hang in there friend, someday we'll all laugh about this.

Since you can see it there's a chance you can retrieve it.

Get a bit of stiff wire (coathanger) and something sticky. Thread the wire in through the vent and see if you can get enough adhesion to tease the scale back up.

Better have some tweezers or something handy for when you get it close to the vent, just in case you can't stick to it well enough to pull it through.

You know, I bet hot melt glue would stay sticky almost long enough to let you adhere the wire to the scale. I'm thinking you could have hours of frustration trying that. But maybe caulk would work - make a loop, add some caulk, thread it in and arrange it pressing against the scale and then let it set up.

Otherwise the rattle's going to drive you nuts.

Go by the local wrecking yard and see what one of the parts removal guys would charge to get them out for you, they remove dashes ALL the time, it takes little time to do it if you know what you are doing. Good luck.

The problem is that I can't even see it,but with those ideas I may try something if it starts to rattle.
Thanks guys,

God bless,Keith

The defroster vent is under the dash (obviously) somewhere, and all you have to do is get up under there and see if you can find the duct that feeds it. it is surely somehow connected to the blower motor, which is usually mounted under the glovebox in the passenger side footwell. You will have to remove some fasteners and dig in a little, but I think I'd make an honest attempt.

If you don't feel confident about taking on the disassembly, I agree with the junkyard idea. There may be some trailblazer forums on the net too..You might check that out.

Back