First metal hacksaw

rreidiii

What is a good (entry level hacksaw) for my shop, one that will last for a while? I'm fairly lazy and will not use a manual one.
Thanks in advance

I personally don't own one, but the Port-a-band from Harbor Freight seems to be popular on this site.
And cheap too!

Steve

I made a stand out of uni-strut and tie raps.
cimg0123.jpg

cimg0124.jpg

Portaband , hands down ! You can fashion a wooden stand & get a Harbor Freight & be in business for less than $100 . Where are you ? I have a dedicated Jet metal bandsaw that I'll sell you for a $100 .

Joe

Portaband , hands down ! You can fashion a wooden stand & get a Harbor Freight & be in business for less than $100 . Where are you ? I have a dedicated Jet metal bandsaw that I'll sell you for a $100 .

Joe

San Diego CA Harbor freight has their vertical/horizontal one for sale for $179 is this good?

I didn't pay much more than 179 for my Dewalt. It has been a workhorse.

I bought an stand and mounted it to some plywood. I can move it if I need to and it clamps easily to my benchtop.

You will love it but I would recommend a using a push stick to move your material around. I had to learn the hard way.

img_0349.jpg

Check out Swag Off Road for a great mounting plate. The guy that fabs them is nice and will let you know if it is going to work with the portaband you are considering.

Johnny

Last edited:
I don't have any pics but I used a harbor freight horazonal/ vertical saw for 15 years. keep in mind a saw designed to cut metal will cut wood but most saws designed to cut wood run to fast to cut metal. with all tools get the very best that you can afford.

Back