A pair of engraved folding art daggers

Buddy Thomason

Click these thumbnails to enlarge, click again to open fully. I left these somewhat large making it easier to see the excellent detail Brian Hochstrat worked into these scenes. This project was commissioned by a very sharp (pun intended) collector (Paul Kessler) - see details below.

1. full spread 4 panel image:

2. partial 2 panel image blades closed:

3. partial 2 panel image blades open:

4. display case open:

5. display case closed:

6. 4 panel spread alternative image:

Within the small world of high end custom cutlery it has been a slow but increasingly successful process of educating makers and artists about the benefits of professional level imagery and why they should expect to pay serious money to promote their work through photography.

My role in this particular collaborative effort was to provide a range of images for use in a variety of settings - the various print media, the relevant forums, show posters etc.

The following text will accompany this project's entry in the "Best Collaboration" category at the BLADE Show in Atlanta, GA June 4-6.

Brian Hochstrat’s artistic rendering of famous scenes from Ludovico Arrosto’s Orlando Furioso (1516) on Tom Overeynder’s paired folding daggers accurately captures the passion and drama of Italian Renaissance story telling.

Set against the historical backdrop of Charlemagne defending Paris against Saracen invaders from the east, this hilarious tale has more to do with the misadventures of Charlemagne’s paladins and the equally confused Saracen warriors.

Knife I The Rescue of Angelica

Scene 1 features Angelica, Saracen beauty and unobtainable love object in her darkest moment. While fleeing the pursuit of love-stricken Orlando, foremost of Charlemagne’s paladins and enemy of her people, Angelica is captured by locals who need a sacrificial maiden to appease the vicious beast lately tormenting their village.

Scene 2 introduces Orlando’s friend and fellow paladin Ruggiero as he, assisted by a winged hippogriff, severs the beast’s vitals with his blade, thus securing Angelica’s freedom. This would be a good thing but for ensuing femme fatale chaos whereby Orlando’s obsession with Angelica drives him insane and spawns many other calamities.

Knife II Rodomonte’s Doom

Scenes 3 & 4 portray the humiliation and destruction of Rodomonte, a Saracen king ready to die fighting if necessary. His courage and big talk are no match for Bradamante, maiden warrior with a magic lance in pursuit of her own love interest, Ruggiero. The braggart Rodomonte challenges Bradamante to a joust and promptly suffers a humiliating defeat.

Resolved to regain his honor, Rodomonte subsequently interrupts Bradamante’s marriage to Ruggiero with his challenge. A well-fought battle ensues but Rodomonte will not yield, forcing Ruggiero to take his life.

Comments/questions welcome.

I'm stunned!This level of knifemaking gives me something to strive for. Tom's knives are some of the best in the world and this engraving takes them to a level out of this world.Again, I'm stunned!

Those are the type of knives that make your jaw drop and drool hit your shoes. Tommy and Brian are for sure at the top of there game!

This project won 'Best Collaboration' this year at BLADE Show. To commemorate the success I made a large poster image and it sure looks good up on the wall!

orig.jpg

I've been following these two via emails for awhile. There are no words that adequatly describes them. Two top artists working in harmony and we get to enjoy the results.

Back