Finishing 3V

Emmons

Hello Everyone,

I am currently working on a 10" Chopper made from 3V. I took the edge down to 0.040" and hand finished to 400 grit, befroe sending it to Brad at Peter's Heat Treating. The blade was HT to a RC60. I shapened the edge and did some testing, after chopping thru 6 or 7 2x6's and about 15 nail, the edge still looked perfect. Impressive stuff!!

The problem is I wanted to finish this blade with a 600 grit hand rub. I started at 220 and got no where. I then when thru x100, x65, x45, and x16 Norax belts at full speed on my grinder. Back to the 220 hand rub and I am working like a dog to get a straight scratch pattern.

Anyone else try to hand rub this stuff? What were your results? How did you finish?

Thank you,

James

These swords are made from 3V
I have th best luck with hermies AO belts. They are blue with a yellow J weight cloth backing. I but them on my Grinder turn the speed down and lightly spry the belt with simple green and water. This help the belt stay cool and cut longer. You still may use a few belts. If the belt is moving to fast then it will throw all the solution off.
Is this a cutter for Bladesports cutting competitions?
Dan

Attachments

• S5000974.JPG
    S5000974.JPG
    35.2 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
I use the Norax belts and run them at about 35% on my grinder. I go down to 5X. Then I use 220 grit paper that i got from USA knifemaker Norton A275
http://www.usaknifemaker.com/store/a275-sandpaper-9x11-p220-grit-p-1452.html
I use both the 220 and 400. I use Mobil 1 oil for cutting fliud. For 600 grit I use Klingspor Stearate AO paper
http://www.usaknifemaker.com/store/a275-sandpaper-9x11-p220-grit-p-1452.html

When you are finished, etch the blade in a diluted solution of ferric chloride for a few minutes. Then rinse with a bicarbonate solution ( baking soda in water).
Wipe of the carbon and sand again with 600 grit just enough to get the oxidation off. The blade will look a little gray. The right paper makes all the difference. I've also had good luck using WD -40 instead of mobil 1 oil. One other thing. Before you etch, clean the blade with acetone and wash it real well with dish soap, so that all the oil is off the blade. You want to get a good even etch.
-John

These swords are made from 3V
I have th best luck with hermies AO belts. They are blue with a yellow J weight cloth backing. I but them on my Grinder turn the speed down and lightly spry the belt with simple green and water. This help the belt stay cool and cut longer. You still may use a few belts. If the belt is moving to fast then it will throw all the solution off.
Is this a cutter for Bladesports cutting competitions?
Dan

Hey Dan , Nice stuff . I thought those were forged blades , my mistake do you stone polish or use grinder for finish ? looks pretty good anyway,,,,,

Thank guys,

I went down to X16, then an old X16 load with green chrome compound. From there I started hand sanding at 240 with Mobil 1. I have a even 240 finish on one side now, after 2 hours on sanding. Wow, this 3V is tuff stuff to put a decent finish on.

James

Back