I finally forged after over 4 years

Bob Warner

KNIFE MAKER
Well guys I finally felt the hot steel under the hammer after 4 and a half years. Could not last to long but got a couple trinkets done.

These are small spikes 3-3/4" long and 3/8 shaft size. These may be worth cleaning up a bit more and selling them, we will see. I may make some more since they are small and I can do them fairly quickly.

Hopefully my forge time will get better and I will be back to forging real knives. I can tell my stamina in standing has a long way to go.

Bob

Attachments

• IMG_1403.jpg
    IMG_1403.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 69
Guess you got that forge built ,Still not done with mine, Im almost finished with a heat treat oven though, I still need to drop by and pick up that peice of steel for my rest I have been very busy lately.

Thanks guys.

Mike,

Not sure I will make any more Damascus Spikes. I made that knife just to test my own forge welding and forging skills. I proved to myself I could make steel that could take a beating without delaminating. I took a 5/8" piece of damascus and upset it (hammered it back into itself) until it got three times its size which created the head of the spike. That is a lot for laminated steel to handle. Then the forging to shape was a lot of work and not easy to do. Try forging under the head of the spike to get the shape correct, what a pain.

It was fun but without an order, there will be no more. Besides as far as I know there is not another COMPLETELY damascus RR spike knife anywhere. Also I can't come close to standing for about 35 hours to make that steel and forge to shape of the spike again. Probably never will be able to do that.

But the small spikes are hard to find and I have 17 of them left so maybe a few more mini spikes will show up. The guy I got them from has an unlimited supply of them but wants $4 each for them.

I welded him a winch mounting hitch on the front of his truck so I got cash and some small spikes.

If anyone wants any I can get them for $4 and would sell for $5 plus shipping. There may be a cheaper place but I never found them.

Bob

Back