Should I cut this into blocks?

Burl Source

Forum Owner & Moderator
I need a little advice from you guys and I am willing to reward you for your help.

When I find a really cool piece of wood, the first thing I want to do is cut it up into pieces for knife handles. But...... right now I still have several hundred blocks I haven't sanded and photographed yet. My boss thinks I should focus on getting those finished, but I have had this piece stashed in my workshop for a few months and I keep wanting to cut it up. It is about 32" x 9" x 2" and it's begging to be used for knife handles. This is the harder redwood, about 50% heavier than normal stuff. Some of the blocks would have both sapwood and heartwood. It also has way more reflective figure than normal.

I figured if a dozen or more of you guys said you might want some I could justify cutting it up. How I would reward you guys is anyone who posted here that you want some of this would get a discount of $5 off the cost of each block you get. You would still get to pick out the ones you want. Let me know if there are special sizes you need. I am guessing the blocks will sell for $15-$20 each. But if a block you wanted was listed for $15, you would get it for $10.

What do you think?

Here is a photo.
brw001.jpg

I would like to know how much you would want for a 6"x9"x2". That is what I am interested in, you can send me a pm if you do plan to cut this up.
Thank you

Now you know darn good and well we are ALL always interested in some pretty wood. Heck, if the price is good, I'd be interested in a 32"x3"x2" piece.

Now you know darn good and well we are ALL always interested in some pretty wood. Heck, if the price is good, I'd be interested in a 32"x3"x2" piece.

Looks like a lot of people are interested in blocks or scales so I won't be able to sell the whole piece. Have to make sure everybody that wants some can get some. Not sure if I can cut a 6x9 piece without flaws but I'll see. There will be some waste, not sure how much till I start cutting.

Are you going to stabilize it or sell it "raw"? Either way I'd be up for a set of scales or two if you feel like doing that much cutting. I have plenty of blocks right now and I'm not really set up to split blocks properly.

Are you going to stabilize it or sell it "raw"? Either way I'd be up for a set of scales or two if you feel like doing that much cutting. I have plenty of blocks right now and I'm not really set up to split blocks properly.

It would be natural, non stabilized. Sounds like several think I should cut scales as well as blocks.

You guys talked me into it. I went ahead and cut this into blocks and scales. There was more waste than what I expected but the figure turned out really good in these blocks and scales. I am measuring and photographing these and will get them listed this afternoon if all goes as plans. Part will go here and part on the other forum. If you are one of those who gave advice be sure to remind me with a PM so you get your discount.

Sorry about the glare in the photo. The others will be better.

rw23002.jpg

OK thanks bud. I just put a deposit in my PayPal acc't last Thursday, hope it goes through before the scales are all gone!

Back