NH Governor Signs Knife Rights Bill into Law

Critter

May 18: New Hampshire Governor John Lynch has signed Rep. Jenn Coffey’s Knife Rights Bill into law, removing restrictions on switchblades, dirks, daggers and stilettos in Hew Hampshire and essentially removing all restrictions on knives in New Hampshire state law. New Hampshire now has no knife laws which stop law abiding citizens from buying, selling, owning, carrying, possessing, transporting, collecting, or lawfully using any type of knife. This is the first complete repeal of a state's knife restrictions ever.

NH Union Leader Front Page Headline: "Switchblade knives now legal in NH..." Read entire article: http://bit.ly/asx0GM

It is worth noting the bipartisan appeal of this legislation; a bill introduced by a minority member of the legislature passed with unanimous consent in both Democratic controlled houses and signed by a Democratic Governor. Proof of what can be accomplished when you have a well-conceived plan and combine a passionate and effective legislator; a professional lobbying effort financed and organized by Knife Rights and organized, hard-working and involved citizen support.

Rep. Coffey will be honored with Knife Rights' Freedom's Edge award at Knife Rights' Sharper Future™ Awards Breakfast at BLADE Show in Atlanta on June 5th (see http://bit.ly/a6msak if you'd like to join us).

Knife Rights is hopeful that the example provided by New Hampshire, and last Month by Arizona's Knife Preemption Law also sponsored by Knife Rights, will be followed by other states. However, it doesn't just happen. In order to repeal irrational restrictions on knives, it takes funding and people willing to work hard to effect change. We cannot do it without your support. Please join us at Knife Rights in making a Sharper Future for us all: www.KnifeRights.org

It's probably wishful thinking, but it would be nice if this would set a precident for the other states.

Doug,

That's awesome. Congrats NH!!! 2thumbs

Now... as a paying Knife Rights supporter, I recomment WA next. :D;) If you can crack WA - particularly western WA - you can crack anything.

Erin

Doug,

That's awesome. Congrats NH!!! 2thumbs

Now... as a paying Knife Rights supporter, I recomment WA next. :D;) If you can crack WA - particularly western WA - you can crack anything.

Erin

Thanks and thanks for your support. As noted, it takes teamwork and funding and key is always a local citizen or organization. If you'd love to see it in Washington, we'd welcome a local coordinator for such an effort.

great job Jenn.. keep up the good work.. must have something to do with that last name, you just spell it wrong

Great. I just drove thru NH and noticed that they have other reasonable laws.... Like signs that say "Passengers under 18 must wear seat belts". I assume that if you are over 18 you don't have to. Seat belts may save some lives but as an adult I think that I should be the one to decide if I want to wear it or not.

I have already committed to join both knife rights groups at the Blade Show this year. All Dogs should do the same. After all, it is us that they are representing and helping.

That's good news. Does that mean there's no size or concealing restrictions?

NH is a state that basically abhors government intrusion. After all, their state motto is, "Live Free or Die!" Wayne is right about the safety belts legislation. They really don't like to be meddled with.

My Dad (I grew up there) once told me about a NH town that took the state on over driving laws. Apparently the state troopers were citing drivers in their town limit for speeding. The town asked the state not to write tickets within the town limit as it effected the town's revenue stream. The state refused to comply stating it was a "state road." So, the town got together and voted the speed limit in town one mile less than the state's speed limit, which meant the town could cite speeders in their town before the state could! How's that for uppity Yankee politics?!

I've been watching this bit of legislation for a while now, and I must say it's pretty cool to see it come to fruition.

As was mentioned in another post, I would like to see WA knife laws messed with. They are very ambiguous, and vary by location in some instances. Would anyone like to help me draft some legislation? By no means do I have the funds to finance a lobbying crew, but I can write reasonably well, and I think that as a knife enthusiast and aspiring maker I could provide useful input. I just cannot do it all alone. I think rather than repealing the laws (as was apparently done in NH) we should perhaps go for a more "streamlined" approach. WA folks love their legaleze, but the knife laws around these parts are in some instances almost contradictory. Fortunately, for us otherwise law abiding citizens anyways, knife laws are rarely enforced. When they are it usually amounts to your knife being confiscated. No fun, but better than jail time. Regardless, if there are laws they should be clear and concise in my humble opinion. Anyone want to help me, or want my help?

As a former resident of NH for 7 years , the NH attitude among many New Hampshire residents is on the License plate. "Live Free or Die" Way to go NH.

Back