Hakkapella Damasteel Corrosion Resistance?

V

VWG

Hey everyone I need some information.:confused:

What is the degree of corrosion resistance of Hakkapella Damasteel used on Benchmade knives?
How corrosion resistant is it in general?
How corrosion resistant is it compared to S30V?
I've found from reading strings on the Benchmade forum that there are different types of Hakkapella Damasteel, so if this is in fact true, can anyone supply me with information as to it's corrosion resistance as used on the Benchmade model 940Ti-91?

Hi,

Damasteel is made out of two powder ss steels. The bright harder steel is rwl-34 the same as cpm 154. All damasteel steel has the same mix and comes in a few differnet patterns like heimskringla, rose, twist, hakkapaella, odin...

I've made about 30 blades in damasteel so far.

I would say that overall damasteel is as corrosion resistant as cpm154.

Regards
Jakob

I've had one of RB Johnson's folders in EDC for the past ten years or so with a damasteel blade. The pattern has faded a might, but no corrosion at all.

Another Question

Thanks for both of your replies.

>I've had one of RB Johnson's folders in EDC for the past ten years or so with a damasteel blade. The pattern has faded a might, but no corrosion at all.<

How faded in % is it?

Thanks ahead of time.:)

It's not the best photo. RB polished the blade after etching rather than leaving the typical dark contrast. Faded yes, but still visible. Not bad for a knife more than ten years in the pocket.

Attachments

• RB-WC1.jpg
    RB-WC1.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 29
Thank you very much for the picture, that was totally unexpected:)

I'm confused - did the fading come from the polishing or from being carried?:confused:

If it was from the polishing, how faded was the contrast/pattern as compared to leaving the typical dark contrast?

What % of fading came from polishing and what % from carrying?

I hate to ask this but if you could, send close up pics of blade.2thumbs
I'm very curious.

By the way, you have a really cool and great looking knife. What materials is it made of especially the scales ?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
The fading is from years of carry. I wipe the blade clean, and there is the other usual pocket junk that rattles around with the knife.

The blade never had the "typical" dark contrast. Chatoyance shows up better when the blade is polished after etching. It's a different look. Pattern welded steels do not require a black color.

It's a little Wharncliff stylee blade maybe 2.5 inches long. The scales are rayskin.

Back