Damascus Integral Bird and Trout WIP

Mike Turner

Hi all, I was contacted sometime back by a fellow forum member ( Jim Johnson ) to build him a custom knife. We talked quite a bit he was intially wanting maybe a hunter and asked to see some pics, I directed him to one I just completed to show the damascus pattern to see if he liked something like this,

Here is the knife I showed Jim,

IMG_4772%20-%20Version%202.jpg

Well Jim really liked this knife so with some more talking we decided to build a similar knife.

So let the build begin.

OK build time, first up I forged out the "W" Pattern billet for another knife but had plenty for this knife. I had showed this billet earlier but here is the pic anyway,

Here we started with this really compressed "W" pattern,

_MG_5195-Version2-1.jpg

Here we have a few forging pics,

_MG_5855-Version2.jpg

Cooking the blade in one of Dave Lisch's forges :D,

_MG_5858-Version2-1.jpg

Here you will notice the rod is still attached from when I forged the block out,

_MG_5864.jpg

_MG_5867.jpg

Checking to see how the forging is going against a sketch I did on my anvil,

_MG_5875.jpg

_MG_5878.jpg

Rod has been removed and I am working on the profile,

_MG_5886.jpg

_MG_5897-1.jpg

Here I wanted to take a peek at what we had so far I also used my CNC Mill to set the front and back of the bolsters so they are even,

_MG_6111-Version2.jpg

_MG_6111-Version21.jpg

Now I start shaping the bolsters using files,

_MG_6204-Version2.jpg

_MG_6211-Version2.jpg

Here is where we are now. I have surface ground the tang located the pin holes and have shaped the front of the bolsters. Also had the wife include the beautiful stag I got from Alpha Knife Supply for this build,

_MG_6282-Version2.jpg

Hopefully I will get this heat treated before I have to head of to California in a few days.

Mike, I really like the way this is going. 2thumbs How thick at the bolster area did you start out?

Bing
MLazyB Custom Knives
Blade Show tester table 24P-A

Hey Bing Thanks :D,

Well lets see if I can answer your question, well that block started out 1 1/4" wide X 1 5/8" long X 1 1/4" tall. I forged it down to around 5/8" thick. I then forged the handle out to the thickness I wanted and length and then I bumped the bolster down to around 1/2" then forged the blade. Hope that helps.

Hey Bing Thanks :D,

Well lets see if I can answer your question, well that block started out 1 1/4" wide X 1 5/8" long X 1 1/4" tall. I forged it down to around 5/8" thick. I then forged the handle out to the thickness I wanted and length and then I bumped the bolster down to around 1/2" then forged the blade. Hope that helps.

Thanks Mike, That answers my question. By the way the knife a the front of this thread is so Sweeeeeet. 2thumbs
Looking foward to the next stage of WIP

Bing
MLazyB Custom Knives
Blade Show tester table24P-A

So today I went over to my friend Gene Martin's house and used his heat treat oven to heat treat this knife. I tried something new for me I used a anti scale compound from Brownells and was quite impressed with it. So lets see some pics,

Here the knife has been heated to 500ºF and already has the first coat of the anti scale compound.

_MG_6283.jpg

Putting on the second coat,

_MG_6284-Version2.jpg

My friend Gene heating the oil up, just ain't no fun with out a little fire for the camera,

_MG_6294.jpg

Coming out of the furnace after a 10 minute soak at 1500ºF (steel is O1 and 8670M in case I forgot to mention it),

_MG_6298.jpg

Into the oil we go,

_MG_6299.jpg

After this I am really liking this anti scale compound, wish I found this stuff a long time ago,

_MG_6307.jpg

More to come this week.

Well today I managed to get some work done on this.

I started off squaring up the end of the scales that will go against the bolster,

_MG_6310.jpg

I have also been needing to make this jig which will allow me to clamp one scale and clamp the tang to the jig so when I drill my hole through the scales it will be true and square,

_MG_6322.jpg

Using the new jig,

_MG_6320.jpg

One hole done 3 to go,

_MG_6321-Version2.jpg

Well now it is grinder time, I will take off most of the excess that is left and get it very close and finish the scale shaping with files and sand paper,

_MG_6335-Version2.jpg

Looking pretty good now what do you think?

_MG_6336.jpg

_MG_6338.jpg

_MG_6340.jpg

Thanks for looking and stay tuned more to come.

Thanks Mark and Marvin.

Well got some time to work on this today. I finished up on getting the scales shaped with files and sandpaper, so here are the action shots.

_MG_6342.jpg

_MG_6344.jpg

_MG_6352.jpg

_MG_6382-Version2.jpg

Next we will be cleaning up the bolsters and the blade beyond where the plunge cuts will be to 2000 grit all by hand.

Back