New build

D.Douglas

Well here is a hidden tang damascus blade i purchased. The tang was not in the correct position on the blade i found when i started the build. It was to low and bent downward. I was being careful but had a blow out on the bottom part of the handle because i drilled a little deep. At least i will know were to put them when i start forging my own. White bronze guard and teak wood handle. I got a buddy i am going to give it to who helped me out with a few wood cases. The handle will get a little better finish and i better get busy with a sheath. Another thing i noticed is the blade is a little front heavy when i balance on a finger at the guard. I am not sure if that is good or bad. Thanks for the look. Doug
cropped.jpg
[/IMG]

Hi Doug, I like the knife blade, bolster and spacer, the handle looks too plain, If you want to bring the balance point back, use a heavy wood like Ironwood. If you want to change the wood, I would send you some Ironwood, free of course. Dave.

Hey Jeff Thanks. Dave i agree its a little plain. I just felt that my buddy was a carpenter and he would use this knife on the job so looks are not that important and teak was pretty water resistant. That is very nice of you to offer but i think i will leave it on and move on to the next. The next would be very deserving of ironwood. Its a laminated blade that i engraved. It will have the same type guard.

Very nice Doug.. Your doing super!!!

Need any help planting or building or anything, Give me a shout!! lol

I think it looks great!
That handle would look "plain" if the blade was just ordinary but with the business of the blade I think it looks kinda cool.
Thats the great thing about making knives....just always do your best on fit and finish and keep trying new things and old things and anythings.

your knife looks great. it is hard to balance a shorter knife. it sounds like you learned a lot on this one. that is the most inporant part. woy must learn to be subjective about your work. the maker knows every thing that they figure went wrong, the people looking at it do not see a thing. keep up the good work and remmber to have fun. Gary Miller

Thanks guys, you do learn something with every project. I have worked in the jewelry business a long time so i have learned to be critical even on minor things. Knifemaking is cool in the fact that you have many choices of styles,wood and metal. Its really not much different than making jewelry just larger and a little more dangerous.

Back