Making steel thinner...massively thinner?

Precise

So I bought from Aldo 1/4 thick 4 foot long chunk o steel, 1084.

I really screwed up in my head and waaaay overestimated how thick that is. What can I do to make it thinner? Any way but grinding? I don't know anything about forging, but is it suitable to smash thinner?

...learning curve is getting kinda expensive if I keep buying things I can't use effectively. :(

Option#1 Forge it and Beat it thin as you like.

Option #2, trade it to someone for thinner material

Option #3, just use it, how many sticks did you get?

Option #4, Send it to me:D

^^^All of the Above^^^ Toss an angle grinder in there though and go to town2thumbs Just wear shoes or boots.....flip flops and sparks hurt:D I know by experience.:eek:

Have fun doing it whatever method you chose.

Chris

You're going to be smashing for a long, long time if you try to do it on cold steel :D If you know someone with a forge and anvil, they certainly can draw it out thinner for you. Maybe you could find a forger here on the forum to do it for you, and let them keep some of the steel for their time? I think that's what I would try.

I take it you're looking to make a knife by the stock removal method? You could sell that 1084 here on the forum and use the money to order some thinner 1080 from TKS or Jantz. It's pretty similar and available in thinner bars.

Also check out the Giveaway linked in my signature line below. 1/8" thick 1080 is the steel in the free kit. Sign up, you got nothin' to lose! :)

Since you only have 4' of it I would suggest you build some hefty knives with it and use it up.

The suggestion of beating it as thin as you like would probably not be worth your time. Unless you have a forge and experience in "drawing out" the steel, you will either ruin it or give up on it after a while. Forging is hard work and drawing out 4' of steel, even at one knife size piece at a time can wear you out.

If you can't return it or trade it, I would suggest you make a few camp knives or something large to use it and order some thinner stuff for whatever you had planned when you ordered it.

Building a forge, finding an anvil (or substitute for an anvil), getting a decent hammer and reading up on how to forge your metal, you probably would be better off putting it in a corner and forgetting about it unless you planned on getting into forging originally.

Well, thanks for the suggestions. Guess I'll try to use it up. As even shipping it to another member might be pricey. Although, I might give trading a whirl.

If not, I have always wanted a khurki...and I guess I can make some monster ones now.

Anyone know where I might find a pattern?
Or maybe stats? If I had stats and some pictures I could probably make something on google sketchup I could print out.

Here's a pattern that came from inside my skull2thumbs

Picture297.jpg

You guys are killing me. Josh,send me an E-Mail and I'll send you out a piece of O-1 no charge. JUST JOSH! Not the rest of you banana's.

Aldo

I sent an email.

That is exceptionally kind and generous of you. Your a real stand up guy! 2thumbs

You don't have to though, it is my own fault for screwing up the math in my head. (I never was really good with numbers). I'll try to make a khurki that can chop a whole car in two!

Back